The health, safety, security and wellbeing of our staff is a top priority for NRC. The Regional Head of HSS serves as the lead technical resource for six countries in Central and West Africa. If you have experience in mentoring teams, crisis planning and building the capacity of others, consider applying now
The NRC Central and West Africa region is composed of country offices in Burkina Faso/Niger, Cameroon, Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mali, and Nigeria. All countries are experiencing a deterioration of the security situation, increasing humanitarian needs, and displacements due to conflict. Aid workers in the region continue to be affected by security incidents with DRC and CAR, as well as other countries in the region, registering significant numbers of security incidents against humanitarian workers in 2019. The shrinking humanitarian space also places aid workers at a greater risk. COVID-19 has produced additional challenges in terms of medical evacuations in an already complex context. The expansion of NSAG and challenged application of International Humanitarian Law by state security forces contribute to risks faced by communities as well as NRC’s staff.
The Central and West Africa Regional Office (CWARO) oversees the country programs in the region and provides strategic guidance and oversight across the core program, advocacy, and support functions.
Member of the Regional Management Group (RMG), you will assume the overall technical responsibility for Health, safety, and security management in the region.
You will work closely with Regional Support and Program unit, as well as HSS section in Head Office, and not least with HSS Managers/ advisers in Country Offices to develop capacities on crisis management and duty of care.
Duties and responsibilities
- Engage as an active member of the Regional Management Group and Extended Regional Management Group
- Serve as a member of the Regional Duty of Care Committee
- Play a leading role in critical incident management
- Implement the global HSS initiatives/tools/system in the region
- Develop and implement the CWA Regional HSS strategy, as well as specific procedures, SOPs, guidelines, and tools.
- Provide technical review of HSS management documents for all countries in the region, including Security Risk Assessments (SRA), Country Security Management Plans (CSMP), Country Contingency Plans, Medical Emergency Plan, and Hibernation, Evacuation, and Relocation Plans (HERP)
- Conduct security risk assessments in relation to internal investigations
- Further build network and collaboration with regional counterparts at INGOs and UN Agencies
- Ensure guidance, support, and capacity building to HSS staff and Country Office management in the region
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience within the humanitarian field
- Experience from working with security risk management in complex and volatile contexts
- Professional knowledge and proven experience in security risk, and critical incident management
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in French and English, both written and verbal
- Ability to monitor the environment and identify changes that may affect operational and staff security
- Knowledge of the conflict and humanitarian context in Central and West Africa
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change
We can offer
A 2 years full-time contract with competitive salary and benefits according to International staff terms and conditions, including contributions to the pension fund.
The flexible working environment in a dynamic office in Dakar
Duty station: Dakar
Family Duty station: Yes
Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
Only CVs and applications written in English will be assessed
- Job City Dakar