The Madrasa Early Childhood Programme, an affiliate of the Aga Khan Foundation, was established in Mombasa in 1986 to improve access and quality of Early Childhood care and services in marginalized communities on the Coast of Kenya. Evidence-based success and growing interest across East Africa led to MECP being established in Zanzibar in 1990 and Uganda in 1993. Over the last 35 years, more than 8,000 teachers have graduated from MECP professional development courses and over 1 million children reached through the programming. MECP is seeking to better bring this experience, expertise, and learning and create impact and influence at scale. Evaluations have demonstrated the positive impact MECP has had on access and quality of pre-primary education and on the educational outcomes of boys and girls. Recently MECP’s approach to supporting preschools and teachers at scale was recognized as the most effective when impact and cost were accounted for.
This year, MECP is celebrating a long and proud history of creating impact and partnerships with communities and allies in Early Childhood Development. MECP needs to develop a video storyline around the 40 years of change through the voices of staff, boards, teachers, school management committees, MECP child graduates, allies, and friends.
Scope of work
AKF is seeking a partner consultant or organization to co-create a storyline of MECP over the past 40 years of change in MECP and history. Initially, there will need to be a process of co-creating and finalizing the narrative, storyboards, and interview process with AKF and MECP. Once complete, AKF and MECP will film all new footage by 16th September (although footage can be sent earlier). In addition, the consultant or organization will be provided with relevant B-Roll footage and photographs to enable the video to go deeper and draw on historical footage.
- Co-designed narrative and storyboard for the video on MECP over the past 40 years.
- Co-designed interview guidelines and questions.
- Take the new and existing footage and turn it into one 5–7-minute video to demonstrate the 40 years of change in MECP history.
- Create eight 30 seconds to 1-minute social media highlighting the people who have contributed ad benefited from MECP over the past 40 years and elevating these voices.
1.Co-designed narrative, storyboard, and interview guidelines and questions____________________ August 2022
2. Draft 5-7-minute video to demonstrate the 40 years of change in MECP history__________30th September 2022
3. Final 5-7-minute video to demonstrate the 40 years of change in MECP history_____________14th October 2022
4.Draft 30 second to 1-minute social media video blasts_______________________________30th September 2022
5.Final series of between 6-10 30seconds to 1-minute social media video blasts____________14th October 2022
- Contract duration
The partnership will be valid 2 months
- Qualifications Required
The consultant or organization is required to demonstrate evidence and experience of:
- the implementation of a safeguarding policy and procedures to ensure safety of interviewees and others on film.
- Skilled in the following industry tools: Final Cut Pro and Pro Tools
- Knowledge and experience in working with Adobe After Effects and Adobe Audition.
- Experience in digitizing and video streaming for the web and other multimedia services.
- Criteria for selection
All submissions will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Technical proposal 40%
- Technical experience 30%
- Value for Money 30%
Consultants or organizations interested in this opportunity with AKF should submit:
- Portfolio of previous work for this nature of production
- CV of core team members
- Organizational experience
- Proposed budget inclusive of the consultant’s accommodation, transport, and meals where necessary as AKF will not cater for these expenses separately. The budget should include withholding tax (5% for Kenyans, 15% for East Africans and 20% for non-Kenyans).
Applications should be submitted to [email protected] by midday on Thursday the 25th of August 2022.
AKF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.
- Job City Kenya