Overall purpose of the role
The overall purpose of the role is to support the Mixed Migration Centre – North Africa with the publication of relevant research to inform policy and programmatic response by expanding the evidence base on mixed migration processes in the region. The post holder plays a key role in establishing the MMC as a leading voice in migration research in the region.
Under the supervision of the Regional Coordinator/Manager in Tunis, the successful candidate will be responsible for conducting data analysis of emerging mixed migration trends; contributing to better use of data; assisting in carrying out research projects and contributing to regular data bulletins; providing support on data trainings, among other responsibilities.
- Work closely with the Data Management Officer to support the 4Mi team with migrating collected data into datasets in appropriate formats (such as .dta or .csv or .nvp);
- Lead on coding and labelling variables to be used in qualitative and quantitative analysis;
- Serve as a focal point for data management in the region by compiling data from relevant secondary sources;
- Provide feedback to update/amend semi-structured and structured interview guides so that required cleaning activities are optimized and data is collected in a format that is more readily usable.
- Contribute to the North Africa research agenda by providing qualitative analyses using relevant software applications such as NVivo or Atlas.ti
- Contribute to the quantitative analysis data of 4Mi data using relevant software applications such as STATA and/or R;
- Stay up-to-date on the latest mixed migration research from the North Africa region and along the Eastern, Western, and Central Mediterranean Routes.
- Taking the lead in drafting planned briefing papers and research papers;
- Support DRC and MMC teams in North Africa serving as a focal point for qualitative research projects;
- Support with the visualization of data, including using QGIS.
- Contribute to the planning and convening of research dissemination events to engage policy and programmatic audiences;
- Contribute to the engagement of stakeholders working in the field of mixed migration
- Strengthen MMC’s work to impact policy and programs
- Attend events and meetings on behalf of the MMC
- Contribute to MMC reporting of its research activities on a quarterly or as-needed basis
Capacity Building & Training
- Provide support to country missions in projects involving migration data capacity-building activities, mainly through assistance in the organization and facilitation of migration data collection and analysis trainings;
- Provide training to DRC and MMC staff on research methods and related software applications (such as NVIVO)
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least three-year experience working in a research or academic context;
- Demonstrated experience in data management, qualitative analysis techniques including the use of relevant software applications (such as NVivo or Atlas.ti);
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis highly desired including the use of relevant software applications (STATA or R);
- Demonstrated experience in producing relevant research products, preferably on migration and/or humanitarian issues;
- Demonstrated understanding of current mixed migration debates and dynamics in the region is an asset;
- Previous experience working with international NGOs is an asset.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- PhD or Master’s degree in development economics, migration or refugee studies, other social sciences.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Full professional proficiency in English and French;
- Arabic is an asset.
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- DRC Tunisia, Libya and North Africa
- MMC North Africa and Geneva
Contract length: 01 Year
Band: H, non-management
Designation of Duty Station: Family Duty Station; Non-accompanied
Start date: January 30, 2020
Applications should be submitted on the DRC website: https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&ProjectId…
Email applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
- Job City Tunis