Save the Children International Kenya, Samburu Programme has an exciting opportunity for you to be included in our Research Assistants Database. The Research Assistants will be engaged on need basis and work directly with the supervisor to collect data during different research and evaluation studies and any other data collection within SAmburu County, and at other times be called upon to support office clerical activities at the support department. Successful candidates will be retained in our rota database for a period of one-year renewable subject to performance.
Currently the Samburu Field Office is implementing a USAID NAWIRI consortium style project. Save the Children is a member of this USAID Nawiri Mercy Corps-led consortium being implemented in Samburu and Turkana counties. USAID Nawiri is a 5 year U.S. Government (USAID and BHA) funded project designed to tackle persistent acute malnutrition rates in northern Kenya. The project is co-created, co-implemented, and co-measured to address problems and solve them at the county level.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Working with communities where the studies will be implemented to mobilize community members targeted during the interviews using appropriate channels.
- Conducting on and off site qualitative and quantitative interviews (Focus Group Discussions, Key Informant Interviews, In-depth interviews and household assessments) using structured and semi-structured questionnaires.
- Collating data from all the tools and working with supervisors to ensure high data quality and timeliness.
- Responsible for validating and loading item data into the system, including but not limited to supplier catalogue items, maximising product data quality and integrity.
- Working with MEAL team to troubleshoot data collection tools
- Submitting of all data through the provided platforms, e.g. ODK/KoBo Collect and other survey forms as guided by the supervisor.
- Submitting daily field reports on progress to the supervisor during catch up meetings.
- Undertake Office clerical work and support different support department.
- Submitting feedback collected during field work to Save the Children
- Reporting any child protection/ safeguarding issue encountered during the assessment/study
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or related field such as public health, education, Social work, development studies, sociology, statistics, Information Technology or similar disciplines.
- Strong research experience in both qualitative and quantitative research (focus group discussions, in-depth interviews and key informant interviews)
- Experience using information communication technology (ICT) with reputable research organizations/INGOs will be an added advantage
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili both written and oral.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal and report writing skills.
- A demonstrable ability to manage a complex and varied workload; to work effectively under pressure; and to organise and prioritise work to ensure deadlines are met
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Experience working with large data sets, ensuring quality, accuracy and relevance of data captured and processed
- Computer literacy, particularly in Word, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge and experience in health systems and community structures is preferable
- Willingness to work in informal settlements will be an added advantage
Save the children International employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application and use the link below to apply.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. All individuals are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process, nor request for medical examination or records and does not act through recruitment agents whatsoever.
- Job City Kenya