The Center for Responsive Politics is a non-profit, nonpartisan research group based in Washington, D.C., that tracks the effects of money and lobbying on elections and public policy. It maintains a public online database of its information.
Open Secrets seeks to appoint an experienced researcher to join our small dedicated team to be based in Cape Town.
The purpose of the position is to contribute to investigations that uncover networks of private corporations and their allies profiting from economic crime and human rights abuses. We use investigative research, advocacy and the law to hold people and institutions who abuse power to account.
Employment type: Starting September/October 2019 for an initial one-year contract period (prospects for renewal).
- Undertake detailed, evidence-based investigations into economic crime in southern Africa that have resulted in human rights violations.
- Produce investigative reports as well as articles for our website and social media platforms. You will need to write well, dig down into detail and engage in investigative research that is at times risky, but serves the public interest.
- Contribute to our advocacy efforts in getting the message out and collaborate closely with our legal team in developing a legal strategy to hold corrupt institutions and individuals to account.
- Collaboration is key, and we expect you to work closely with our team as well as our civil society partners in South Africa and other countries.
- Strong work ethic, a focus on detail, exemplary integrity and a commitment to social justice.
- A committed team player, with an inquisitive mind, who values collaboration and has an aversion for office politics. If you want to change the way the world works, you’ll fit right in.
- At least three years’ work experience in investigative research (preferably in the non-profit sector – but we will consider all good people who share our values).
- Postgraduate studies in a related field such as law, politics, history, or economics preferable.
- Strong research and writing (English) and command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
This is envisaged as a full-time position based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town.
Application: Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, and contact details of at least three referees.
The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for.
Please send your application to: [email protected]
Kindly note that applications missing any of the required information will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.
- Job City Cape Town