The Africa and West Asia Regional Office is seeking a Security and Risk Management Officer to support the fast-growing team. The officer will be required to provide security advice, and operational support to International IDEA’s regional, sub-regional and country offices across the region. This will involve regular political and security analysis of the region and the countries where International IDEA has or is planning to have offices and /or operations, and management of the development, implementation and reporting on International IDEA’s risk management policies and strategies. The incumbent will be required to travel regularly to develop Risk Management Plans for each operational location, regional or sub-regional or country office. Ensuring compliance with policies procedures and guidelines and training and coaching will form a significant component of the work directly with country teams. The concept of “Risk Ownership” is vital and the promulgation of International IDEA’s policies regarding risk and risk management that have been adopted by the Secretary-General with the full acknowledgement of the organization’s Council of Member State Representatives will be key.
International IDEA has a Corporate Risk Register detailing the areas that it considers to be of significant concern in all its programmes. The incumbent will be required to monitor and update the Corporate Risk Register in coordination with the Director, Africa and West Asia Region working with members of the RAWA Senior Management Committee and the organization’s functional teams.
The incumbent will also work in collaboration with the Executive Division and in coordination with substantive leads and country programme heads, to facilitate the provision of appropriate office and programme equipment, and to ensure adequate communications and other services necessary to the operations of each office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as the primary AWA point of contact for all risk and security related matters.
- Acts as regional focal point to assist regional and country Heads with development and maintenance of country level crisis and risk management plans, including evacuation plans.
- Acts as regional focal point for health and safety matters.
- Liaises closely with concerned governments, intergovernmental organizations, UN agencies and International IDEA Member States for proactive planning and risk management.
- Engages with national or international security agencies as required.
- Maintains security networks of international and national security personnel.
- Works directly with Heads of Teams of regional and country programmes and offices to ensure comprehensive and consistent briefings are provided to incoming and existing staff on security matters and other context specific information.
- Works with all functional divisions within the Executive Division and other relevant Teams to ensure the consistent material support of offices, communications, transport, and supply.
- Guides and oversees risk assessment and risk management activities.
- Conducts regular policy and security analyses, identifies trends and develops risk mitigation strategies
- Assesses and communicates to Heads of Team, programme leads and line managers, issues that may affect safe and sustainable program implementation.
- Undertakes country level risk assessments or (if appropriate) engages other risk management professionals to undertake risk assessments.
- Conducts security assessments of International IDEA premises and equipment and provide recommendations on risk management.
- Manages the inclusion of risk management resources in programme proposals and budgets.
- Provides advice on safety and security risk management methodologies, standards and good practice to International IDEA’s Director, Africa and West Asia Region, Heads of Teams and the RAWA Senior Management Team.
- Provides guidance to International IDEA Staff Members on travel plans and coordinates with International SOS, insurance and other relevant information providers.
- Represents International IDEA at security meetings, and attends security workshops/ training sessions, working groups and conferences as directed.
- Provides training and coaching to staff within the RAWA region in assessing risk, risk ownership and threat awareness.
- Supports line managers with the implementation of risk management training and capacity building activities.
- Assesses the quality of appropriate Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT), First Aid and similar training.
- Contributes to the development of organizational policies in line with industry best practice and standardized guidelines (e.g., ISO standards).
- Requires in-depth knowledge, excellent skills, and relevant experience in their field.
- Expertise in risk assessment, risk awareness promotion and crisis management.
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e., from strategic planning and project design, funding, and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, supervises input from external providers.
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Adds value to team-based activities in their Team; collaborates with other entities of the Institute.
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues.
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in their projects.
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines.
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity, and Professionalism.
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities
- Director, Africa West Asia Region.
Education and Experience
- University degree in Strategic Security Studies, International Relations, Security Management/ Administration, Criminology, or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum five (5) years’ experience working on security and/or crisis risk management issues for a relevant international organisation in a related field (e.g., human rights, rule of law, international relations, humanitarian, or development) operating in complex conflict or post-conflict environments.
- Experience in conducting security risk assessments as integral part of operational planning and enabling operations.
- Experience in Africa and conversant with security threats and response infrastructure in the continent.
- Familiarity with relevant international or ISO Risk Management/ Security standards such as ISO 31000.
- Fluency in written and oral English is essential; any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) is an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- One (1) year fixed term appointment
- Remuneration – EUR 4 623 NET per month + benefits
- Job City Ethiopia