EDC is one of the World’s leading Nonprofit Research and development firms. EDC designs, implements and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security & Logistic Officer
- The Northern Education Initiative (NEI) Plus plans to engage a Security and Logistics Manager at its Sokoto Office.
- The Project Security and Logistic Officer (PSLO) ill provide safety, security and risk management support to all EDC and NEIPlus program security management staff and contracted personnel and services.
- Furthermore, s/he will implement, maintain, and enforce all country-wide and program specific Safety & Security Plans as outlined in the EDC and NEIPlus security policies, procedures, and protocols for managing threats and mitigating risks to all personnel, physical assets, properties as well as sensitive and proprietary information within the EDC and NEIPlus area of operations. S/He will act as the senior security representative in country.
Essential Job Functions
The essential areas of the Security and Logistics Officer job functions include:
Safety & Security Program Implementation:
- Working with all EDC and NEIPlus State Team Leaders, Program Security Advisors, and designated personnel to ensure coordination and compliance with EDC and NEIPlus program specific Safety & Security Plans, policies and procedures uniformly.
- Advising EDC and NEIPlus State Team Leaders, Program Security Advisors, and designated personnel in developing and overseeing the day-to-day conduct of program security, ensuring preparation of adequate responses to security incidents, natural and manmade disasters;
- Providing technical security advice, in consultation with the STLs, for the existing and potential programs, site selection and the establishment of effective physical and procedural security measures;
Serving as advisor to the Incident Management Team (IMT):
- Assessing, on a regular basis, EDC and NEIPlus program areas of operation and implementation to evaluate the level of assistance required to provide effective safety and security support of the project;
- Initiating emergency response actions in the event of an emergency or a direct or indirect threat;
- Guiding STLs to ensure budgetary requirements for safety and security are prioritized and implemented across all programs;
- Reviewing weekly staff travel schedules and projected travel itineraries to identify potential security and safety related issues;
- Coordinating all safety and security actions between EDC and NEIPlus programs in the event of a major incident or crisis situation.
- Assessing and vetting hotels as secure to provide venue and accommodation options for staff and training participants.
Transport and Fleet Management:
- Overseeing the fleet management of vehicles and drivers to meet the logistical needs of the project in the state.
- Supervising the maintenance of vehicles to maximize the safety of the vehicle and passengers.
- Reviewing vehicle logs and monitors fuel efficiency.
- Coordinating staff traveling to and within Sokoto state.
- Ensuring staff adherence to NEIPlus and Nigeria rules and regulations governing the management of vehicles
- Ensuring all Sokoto NEIPlus based vehicles are regularly serviced and maintained.
- Ensuring all those authorized to drive NEIPlus personnel (formal drivers and external service providers) meet the required standards, have up to date licenses valid for Nigeria and the location of operation, and are medically fit to drive.
- Conducting or arranging additional training where necessary for all staff to cope with the local driving conditions and type of vehicles.
- Ensuring that all the necessary documents are available and up to date in the vehicle (insurance, logbook, import list, tool kit, spare parts, spare tire, first aid kit and fire extinguisher)
- Ensuring all persons aboard the vehicle understand the security guidelines for the related journey prior to travel.
Management and Coordination:
- Assisting with event logistics in the field and ensure that they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their work.
- Ensuring appropriate team structures, clear division of responsibilities and objectives.
- Building the capacity of and appraising transportation logistics staff both in Sokoto and field offices.
- Providing advice and support on logistics to program staff.
- Determining, reviewing or changing the levels of security in regards to acceptable tensions levels, precautionary measures to be adopted, and restrictions in movement, relocation or evacuation of personnel;
Document & Resource Maintenance:
- Developing, reviewing and/or editing area specific threat/risk assessment protocols, including threat/risk assessment indictors, travel recommendations during a permissive environment, uncertain environment and a hostile environment, concerning EDC and NEIPlus’ daily activities for office and field staff;
- Coordinating revisions of program specific Safety & Security Plans, Emergency Action Plans (EAP), other security management documents on a quarterly basis or more frequently as required;
- Maintaining and updating all country office contingency planning material, reference documents and annexes as needed;
- Developing and strengthening EDC and NEIPlus staff safety and security capacity with periodic security awareness briefings and training for all staff;
- Organizing periodic tabletop exercises to test the Emergency Action Plan (EAP), and maintains
Networking & Communication:
- Developing and strengthening contacts and liaises with local authorities and law enforcement, diplomatic/international organizations, and private security officers in close consultation with the STLs;
- Liaising with the contracted security provider at country level and provides general residential security advice to all staff;
- Developing, reviewing and/or changing mechanisms in conjunction with the Director of Global Safety & Security to ensure security contractor compliance, and establish clear audit trails in relation to EDC and NEIPlus deliverables associated with the security provider’s contract and during all financial matters and transactions;
- Reviewing all security provider and related service contracts to ensure accuracy and value for service, (this duty completed in coordination with STLs and other designated personnel)
- Working with HQ and field proposal staff to properly scope and provide budgetary inputs for all security costs and requirements for all new proposals.
- The PSLO reports to the Program STL, NEIPlus Security Advisor, and EDC Director of Global Safety & Security in the implementation of EDC and NEIPlus policies, protocols, and procedures.
Interested Candidate should possess:
- Bachelor Degree or its equivalence
- Minimum of five years’ experience working in insecure environments, ideally for an International NGO
- Knowledge of INGO security management approaches and practice
- Good understanding of humanitarian principles and practice
- Experience of developing and delivering training courses and workshops
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop staff capacities in security awareness and practice
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good writing and computer skills
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Knowledge of cultural norms of the intervening communities
- Ability to communicate effectively in the language of the local communities
- A high school diploma is required. A Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science,
- EDC is committed to diversity in the work place. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.
Application Closing Date
22nd July, 2020.
Note: Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- Job City Sokoto