The Mitchel Group, Inc. (TMG), a US-based International Development organization, is the implementing partner of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/Ethiopia’s “Partner Liaison Security Operations (PLSO) Contract. The purpose of the PLSO is to serve as a liaison to and facilitate communications between the USAID/Ethiopia’s implementing partners (IPs) and USAID/Ethiopia to enable the IPs to use and share publicly available information as a decision support mechanism. This will entail proactive engagement on the part of the PLSO, including meetings, site visits, and written communications. The PLSO will assist in the more effective delivery of U.S. Government-funded assistance, as it will enhance the IPs’ ability to stay abreast of security concerns and better secure their operations so that IPs can more aptly perform and advance development objectives under their respective agreements.
This operation will be located in Ethiopia outside the US Embassy Compound. The PLSO will provide security support to USAID/Ethiopia’s IPs operating throughout the country.
Specific Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Advises and guides Field Advisers and USAID IPs with regards to regional specific threats and security concerns;
- Follows directives and facilitates research regarding information and analysis critical to the DCOP and/or COP;
- Works under the direct supervision of the DCOP;
- Prepares briefing materials such as periodic security threat information alerts, notices, warnings, and advisories on security threats for USAID IPs senior management and designated officials;
- Participates in the development of procedures for security operations, contributing with preparation and review of security-related briefs for USAID/Ethiopia, and IPs related to current/significant events in various regions;
- Finalizes and provides quality assurance for weekly regional reports submitted by field advisors;
- Develops and finalizes weekly security reports, working closely with the DCOP and integrating all weekly regional security reports;
- Contributes to preparation of security plans by conducting regional, and country-specific threat and risk assessments for the USAID IPs, including:
- Analyzes trends of security incidents affecting the IPs;
- Identifies, through field research of security risks, the operating environment of the USAID IPs in liaison with the IPs team, local security service providers and regional and local security interlocutors;
- Support Field Advisors to develop security information requirements for the USAID IPs in a particular region;
- Assists regional Field Advisors to conduct security risk assessments in the field as needed;
- Support developing strategic assessments on trends of security threats in the region for dissemination to USAID/Ethiopia, IPs, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Support producing early warning reports and indicators on security threats and concerns, as a planning tool for PLSO Senior Management;
- In consultation with USAID and IPs, develop Security Analysis Process and Practice Standards;
- Prepares analytical reports on potential security threats and incidents for USAID and IPs;
- Performs other analytical and research assignments and tasks as required.
- Identifies best, timely and reliable sources of security related information and collect and organize information collected
Employment Term: 10 months with the possibility of extension Depending on the availability of Funds
Reports To: Deputy Chief of Party
Number required: One (01)
Qualifications, experience, and skills:
- University degree in political science, security studies, journalism, humanitarian affairs, Information systems or related degree;
- Significant NGO experience and understanding of programs or operations preferred;
- Eight years of experience required, and security sector experience preferred;
- Fluent verbal and written English skills (submit 2 English writing samples with CV);
- Demonstrated experience in management and evaluating and communicating political, security sector, and economic issues in their respective areas;
- Demonstrated analytical and research skills;
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must have experience with computers, internet usage, database and reporting tools, and MS Office suite;
- Competent with the use of social media platforms;
- Demonstrated experience researching and writing reports.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are requested to attach a copy of their CV and cover letter indicating the Position and Duty Station and directed to [email protected] on or before Oct 30th, 2020. Senior Security Analyst position must submit two professional English writing sample.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Addis Ababa