The Organization You Want to Work For
Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit organization that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development: www.developmentgateway.org
Our core focus areas are Total Resource Management (open contracting and procurement, aid management, and extractives); Effective Service Delivery (data management systems, monitoring/evaluation/learning, agriculture, and health); and Data Strategy & Policy (including results data, data standards, and open data advocacy).
We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We value hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya. Ability to live and work legally in Kenya required.
The Elevator Pitch
The Senior Associate (Consultant) is responsible for managing client relationships and overseeing progress on project/technical implementations. Our projects include (i) implementations of data management, visualization and dissemination tools, (ii) evaluating and strengthening the decision-support environment for data use, and (iii) applied research on how data and technology influence development and policy.
In this role, you will manage globally-situated partners and projects, support product innovation, and lead assessments of systems and user needs. A wide degree of creativity, latitude, and responsibility is expected, along with extensive international travel.
The Work You Get To Do
Project Management and Implementation
● Works closely with clients to understand data use challenges and document technical needs. Collaborates with partners and technical staff to ensure that project milestones are met on time, within budget, and done to client satisfaction.
● Builds relationships with national and subnational government ministries, research institutions, CSOs and/or private sector partners to successfully enable data sharing and data use.
● Collects and maintains requirements for IT systems that manage decision support data for governments and international organizations. Responsible for conceptual design and defining business rules, user stories, and user interfaces.
● Designs and conducts qualitative research and assessments, and data analysis for sectors including agriculture, health policy, and financial transparency.
● Provides support and documentation for improving and creating clear data management processes. Conducts system testing. Leads training sessions.
Business Development, Relationship Development, & Innovation
● Identifies and develops new and follow-on business opportunities. Leads and supports proposal preparation and submission.
● Provides inputs to R&D, innovation, and new product development.
The Education and Experience You Have and We Need
● Master’s degree preferred, Bachelor’s required. Candidates from all academic majors encouraged to apply.
● 5+ years experience in project management, technology development, or data for international development. Experience working with governments preferred.
● Fluency in English required; fluency in French, Kiswahili, or another language a significant advantage.
● Experience working or living internationally a plus.
● Proven track record of managing client relations in a global environment.
● Data analysis experience a plus. Experience working with data for agriculture, health, financial transparency or open government a big plus.
Gourmet chefs welcome, but more importantly:
● You have effective project management and presentation skills. You enjoy getting things done while keeping your clients happy and building relationships.
● You have strong problem solving skills and are known for your commitment to continuous product and process improvement.
● You have a solid ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced, creative environment. Entrepreneurial attitude and skills important.
● You bring an understanding of the development lifecycle and technologies behind Internet-based applications.
● You’re comfortable working with data using spreadsheets, simple databases, and/or statistical software packages.
● You can communicate easily with both technical and non-technical staff and maintain good communication with our geographically dispersed team.
● You use strong organizational skills to handle a broad and unpredictable workload, meet deadlines and work under own initiative.
● You can work effectively both autonomously and as a great teammate, influencing others’ attitudes and behaviors through example.
We’re also looking for: Excellent written and verbal communication and customer interaction skills. Understanding of business relationships and concepts; successful proposal or business development experience a big plus. Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time required.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected]. Please mention “Nairobi Senior Associate” in the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Job City Nairobi