About FHI 360:
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Principal Investigator
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
The Senior Diagnostic and Health Security Advisor (SDHSA) will provide leadership, and technical oversight to support implementation of diagnostics systems capacity building work for an anticipated CDC Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) Grant for the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The project will support GHSA through implementation of programs and activities that focus on preventing and improving health globally through partnerships to advance the prevention, detection, and response to mitigate threats from infectious diseases of international concern. The project has the following general objectives:
- To improve prevention of avoidable epidemics including naturally occurring outbreaks and intentional or accidental releases of dangerous pathogens.
- To improve ability to rapidly detect threats early, including detecting, characterizing.
- To report emerging biological threats by responding rapidly and effectively to public health threats of international concern.
The position will be based in the FHI 360 office in Kinshasa, DRC and will involve frequent international travel. Technical responsibilities include working with the Project lead, country diagnostic specialists, monitoring, evaluation, and surveillance staff, FHI 360 senior leadership, and partner representatives across the project consortium to enhance diagnostic networks (both human and animal health) in focus countries as well as the broader surveillance systems. The successful candidate will coordinate activities across multiple countries and will facilitate sharing of best practices across that network working with other laboratory programs and partners.
*Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of the final applicant is subject to donor approval.
The SDHSA DA provides technical support to the design, implementation and monitoring of technical strategies to strengthen diagnostic networks that provide comprehensive coverage and universal access to diagnostic services. This will include diagnostic network and facilities assessments, capacity building initiatives of both human and animal diagnostic networks, and implementation of strategies, programs or tools to support diagnostic network capacity building in support of the GHSA. Specifically:
- Leads the development and implementation of technical assistance, diagnostic network and facility strengthening and quality improvement interventions in line with joint external evaluation (JEE) reports, country national action and strategic plans, and other assessment reports.
- Leads the development of country-specific workplans and budgets for diagnostic network activities aligned with national action plans and local stakeholder improvement goals.
- Leads the implementation of diagnostic network enhancement activities in countries which may include capacity building activities for core diagnostic components such as specimen referral mechanisms, quality management systems, supply chain, management information systems, diagnostic SOPs and tools, qualified workforce, expansion of point-of-care diagnostic service points, and biosafety and biosecurity.
- Leads and implements country and regional strategies for south-to-south technical assistance and sharing of knowledge, experience, resources, and lessons learned.
- Support the establishment and implementation of country and regional strategies to enhance diagnostic networks to mitigate complex emerging infectious disease threats.
- Supports country diagnostic staff to strengthen biosafety and biosecurity through updates to national strategies and guidelines, locally adapted SOPs, mentorship, and training.
- Collaborates with country diagnostic leaders to establish and test systems to detect and respond to emerging infectious threats.
- Leads reporting of diagnostic network strengthening activities.
- In close collaboration with project staff and diagnostic network leaders supports the implementation and monitoring of network enhancement activities as per approved country or regional workplans.
- Provides technical support based upon expertise with implementation of diagnostic systems strengthening, methods and strategies, current practice, and established diagnostic and operational standards while also being locally relevant and sustainable.
- Designs and leads interoperability initiatives to facilitate sharing of resources and knowledge between the human, animal, and environmental sector.
- Assists in coordinating the implementation of multi-sectoral activities to strengthen and improve relationships cross relevant ministries, which includes high level coordination of key stakeholders, donor and other partners for decision making and knowledge exchange.
- Builds capacity in country-level, regional or global diagnostic staff.
- In close collaboration with project surveillance staff, provides technical assistance to diagnostic networks to strengthen the accuracy and timeliness of reporting into national reporting databases such as DHIS2.
- Will be required to coordinate and work with a diverse group of organizations, such as; the Ministry of Health and Agriculture, diagnostic leaders and facility staff, several international and national development partner organizations, and the donor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum of an MSc in clinical diagnostics with a focus on microbiology or an international equivalent.
- 8-11 years of experience (combination of long-term in-country placement and short-term technical assistance) in the oversight and implementation of diagnostics strengthening in developing countries in Africa (DRC preferred) with a focus on GHSA priority pathogens and concerns.
- Proven knowledge and experience in the diagnosis of infectious diseases and anti-microbial resistance including specific hands-on clinical and/or veterinary diagnostics experience.
- Competent in current developments in the diagnosis of infectious diseases including point-of-care and molecular methods.
- A demonstrated ability to work with multiple partners on collaborative projects.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that span multiple countries.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills.
- Ability to build teams, recognize, acquire and retain talents.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the ethical issues surrounding research and surveillance.
Minimum of 25 % travel in DRC.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Job City Kinshasa