The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Under the direct supervision of the ERR Manager or Senior EH manager, the Senior EH Officer is responsible to provide leadership and management of all aspects Emergency response and camp-based WASH intervention in Shire operational areas in Tigray including southern camps (Mai-Ayni & Adi-Harush refugee camps) and Mai-Tsebri IDPs and Hosting Community
The principal role of the Senior EH/WASH officer is to ensure quality program implementation, and she/he will base in Shire with frequent field.
She/he will have responsibility for supporting the emergency WASH response interventions and regular operations including representations in southern camps (AH & MA Eritrean refugee camps) and surrounding host and local communities and IDPS. The position holder is generally responsible for coordinating and managements of the WASH program activities of active grants (UNHCR, UNICEF and BHA) and programs works in line with the IRC operational and emergency policies. She/he is also responsible to prepare detail drawings, BOQ, design for all public service facilities implemented by IRC (Health, CWI, CP, and ECCD) and ensure that all structures are constructed at the accurate locations and as per the design.
Major Responsibilities and Tasks: – Specific tasks include, but not limited to the following:
- Operation and Maintenance Supervision
- Follow up all IRC intervened construction projects on in Tigray in Southern Camps (Mai-Ayni & Adi-Harush), IDPs and host community, public service facilities (Health Care Facilities, Schools/ECCD, Women and Girls Safe Spaces) to effectively and efficiently implement the projects supported by various active grants (UNICEF, UNHCR, BHA) and the regular operation and maintenance of activities
- Directly supervise a team of EH staff (EH officers and water quality officer) for refugee operation and Emergency response WASH intervention in the area
- Support the recruitment, training, management of EH officers, Water trucking officer and maintenance team (plumbers and chlorinators)
- Assists and facilitate in the orientation of newly recruited EH staff on behalf of EH team.
- Prepare performance targets with EH team in Shire and support camp manager on the staff evaluation process.
- Grants management, reporting, representation, and documentation
- Prepare Implementation, spending, procurement and monitoring and evaluation plan for allocated EH budgets along with activities
- Liaises with HR/Admin, Logistics, and Finance Departments to ensure smooth operations of activities and procedural recruitment of skilled manpower, incentive workers and other EH staff for implementation of WASH activities in the refugee camps, IDPs and host community
- Ensures that all WASH projects for the refugee programs and hosting community are implemented in timely and professional manner (IRC standards), according to goal, objectives, and indicators and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs
- Lead the operation and installation of water systems including construction of new /rehabilitation/ expansion/maintenance of water systems, facilitation of drilling site selection and supervision, design for pipe lying, procurement and design for the generators and pumps for the supply of electromechanical equipment etc.
- Ensure the accurate operation and maintenance of motorized boreholes, hand-dug wells, springs, and rainwater supply systems for the IDPs, refugee camp and host community.
- Oversee and supervise regular water quality testing activities for turbidity and free chlorine residual.
- Ensure that daily data for water production and quality is gathered and recorded is kept in soft and hard copies in the refugee camps, IDPs and host community.
- Lead the production of by EH officers or produce all the vital designs and bills of quantities, specification, drawings for the water system and prepare follow-up schedules for required equipment, goods, tools, and materials.
- Ensure that all water supply infrastructures in the camp meet design, specification, and quality of construction as per IRC/donor standards.
- Follow-up procurement requests (PRs) for vital material and equipment required to carry out construction, operational and maintenance WASH, and activities.
- Supervision of all water works contracted water supply system; construction of tap stands, reservoirs, pipe lying, anchor blocks, valve chambers, generator houses, guard house etc.
- Coordinate and supervise the construction and maintenance of sanitation infrastructures in the Camps and IDPs center, public service facilities.
- Ensure that all sanitation infrastructures in the camps/ IDPs and public service facilities meet the design, specification, and quality of construction as per IRC/donor standards.
- Produce all appropriate designs, drawings, bills of quantities and specification and follow-up orders for the required equipment, tools, and materials for the implementation of sanitation facilities.
- Ensure the procurement of tools, materials and equipment required towards construction and maintenance of sanitation facilities.
2. Capacity Building Trainings
- In collaboration with ERR Manager/Senior Environmental Health Manager develop standard training manuals for quarterly refreshment training for water system care takers/Plumber and generator operators
- Identify major gaps and training demands of Water technical officer, water quality officer, plumbers under her/his direct supervision
3. Integration and Coordination
- Serve as IRC focal point for all construction related activities in refugee camps, IDPs and host community
- Participate on meetings regarding EH activities as advised by the camp manager, senior EH manager
- Coordinate and work closely with local authorities, ARRA, UNHCR, UNICEF and other implementing partners to ensure a smooth workflow
- Represent IRC WASH on regular weekly/Bi-weekly inter agency coordination meeting (IACM) for IDPs and camp coordination meeting (CCM) for refugees in the southern camps.
- Closely work with both Adi-Harush and Mai-Ayni Camp Managers, Other programs manager (Health and Nutrition, Education, Child protection, CWI)
- Participate in emergency need assessment in WASH and construction when required in the refugee camps, IDPs and host community.
- Any additional responsibility as requested by his/her supervisor.
- MSc/BSc and Diploma in Hydraulics, Water Resource and Civil Engineering or related fields
- 2 years of experience with the first degree or Diploma with 5 years’ experience
- 1 years of experience plus post graduate degree.
- NGO experience is a plus.
- Have technical background and knowledge in design and construction supervision, preparation of BOQ, specification of water supply structures and sanitation facilities (Emergency Latrines, shower and solid waste pits, Health, and school facilities)
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time leadership skills.
- Capable of training refugee groups and motivating community support.
- Operational knowledge of Microsoft Office software; AutoCAD
- Positive and professional attitude, able to coordinate, maintain and prioritize work under pressure, and able to work in an insecure environment.
- Proficient in Windows, MS office programs, email, and database experience, EPANET or WATERCAD and AUTOCAD software skills are mandatory
- Working under stressful conditions and ability to prioritize among urgent tasks
- Creative, pro-active, flexible and candidates with high caliber squarely fit this position
- Very good interpersonal skills (verbal and written) in English language.
- Job City Shire, Tigray