This Agribusiness and Private Sector Development Role is a one-year volunteer deployment by ICCO to the Regional Office of ICCO in Kampala, Uganda.
The Senior EU Aid Volunteer – Rural Development (Private sector ecosystem) will among others support the High Flyers programme and will design modalities for embedding the target SMEs with the wider private sector ecosystem in Uganda and the East Africa region.
For more information about this position, please follow this link: https://icco.hrmagic.co/careers/job?id=Mzc0
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Design and provide agribusiness and agri-marketing training and coaching sessions to young entrepreneurs in agribusiness of the High Flyers programme.
- Support to development/adjustment of training and coaching materials for the High Flyers programme, and eventually other ICCO programmes. The volunteer is expected to provide input for the materials in the field of agribusiness development, value chain development and marketing.
- Provision of training (agribusiness development training, agri-marketing training) to young agripreneurs of the High Flyers programme.
- Provision of coaching & business advisory sessions to young entrepreneurs of the programme, in most cases conducted from the garden of one of the entrepreneurs.
Contribute to programme and proposal development.
- Support to programme & proposal development by provision of input in the field of agriculture, agri-business, marketing and value chain development.
NOTE: An apprenticeship is not part of this deployment.
- A degree in a relevant subject matter with an orientation towards agricultural (private sector) development (e.g. agribusiness, rural development);
- Entrepreneurial abilities; experience in agri-enterprise development and/or running an agribusiness enterprise is a plus;
- Experience in working with rural communities and/or youth, or motivated to do this;
- Excellent planning, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; experience as a trainer or coach is a plus;
- Experience in programme development and proposal writing;
- Excellent English speaking and writing skills;
- Self-motivated, pro-active and result-driven;
- Being an open and reliable person with high integrity;
- Ability to work independently but at the same time being a team player;
- Ability to connect with people of different backgrounds;
- Ability to transfer skills and advise in an appropriate manner;
- Flexibility; Ability and willingness to travel regularly to rural settings;
- Good communication and reporting skills;
- Affinity with the protestant character of ICCO and ICCO’s values and operating principles.
ICCO Cooperation applies a policy of equal opportunities and accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of sex, race, color, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Applications are made directly within the sending organisation, please check out the how to apply https://icco.hrmagic.co/careers/job?id=Mzc0
Eligibility and exception criteria:
The candidate for EU Aid Volunteers must be a citizen of the EU or a third-country national who is a long-term resident in an EU Member State and must have a minimum age of 18 years.
- Central Training of ECHO
- Security training/ pre-deployment training of ICCO at the Global Office in Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Participation in staff meetings and close cooperation with project staff will result in knowledge sharing and learning
- Opportunity to acquire experience of working at an international NGO in a developing country.
- Access to different e-learning modules
Working and Living Conditions
All costs associated with the deployment are fully covered providing a subsistence allowance, medical, travel and accommodation as well as insurance coverage. The volunteer will be based at ICCO office in Uganda, in a safe area in Kampala. The volunteer will work from there, and travel approx. 1-2 times per month to the project area. In the project area (Nebbi district and Lango sub-region) the volunteer will use a safe designated hotel for accommodation.
- Accommodation in the cities where deployed will be provided.
- The EU Volunteer shall have a clean lockable room with access to clean water and sanitation facilities. The room shall be located at a reasonable distance from the EU Aid Volunteers’ main working location.
- To the extent possible, the communication shall facilitate the integration of the EU Aid Volunteer into the community and it will enable the volunteer to interact with the expatriate community.
- The EU Aid Volunteers shall have access to means of communication enabling contact to the hosting and sending organisations as well as the volunteer’s relatives.
- When travelling in-country in other (rural) areas for work, accommodation in local hotels or guesthouses will be provided for.
- Regular working hours shall not exceed 40 hours per week on average, calculated over a four-month period.
- The volunteer shall have access to a dedicated working space in accordance with their task assignment and with agreed-upon safe, secure and healthy working conditions.
- All costs will be covered for the volunteer during deployment, and this includes accommodation in-country for the entire period of deployment, travel, and monthly subsistence payments per month (317,93 Euros per month).
- A roundtrip flight from/to the home country will be provided.
- The cost of pre-departure preparations, including medical checks, vaccinations, visas, etc., will be provided.
- The volunteer will be covered by a travel insurance plan.
- A resettlement package will be provided to the volunteer, as well as a (group) debriefing.
Shortlisting and Interviews:
- 13/03/2020 – 20/03/2020
- The interviews will be held face-to-face or by an online interviewing process.
Expected date decision on outcome:
Date of training:
- May/April 2020
Pre-deployment preparation and induction:
- 25/05/2020- 27/05/2020
- 01/06/2020 – 31/05/2021
Debriefing and follow-up at ICCO´s Global Office NL
- Job City Kampala