Farm Africa vision is a prosperous rural Africa. We are a specialist development NGO working with smallholder farmers, forest communities, local government and private sectors across East Africa for the last 30 years. With community engagement underpinning our approach, we design and implement sustainable solution to rural poverty based on evidence and best practices. In 2015 we reached approximately 1.8 million pastoralists, agro-pastoralists, farmers and forest dwellers in Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
Farm Africa has worked in Ethiopia for over 28 years, throughout Oromia, SNNPR, Benishangul, Tigray and Afar regions. With funding from a range of institutional donors and foundations including DFID, EU, Irish Aid, Royal Norwegian Embassy, Comic Relief, Barr Foundation, and Ashden Charitable Trust, we have implemented a large portfolio of projects primarily focusing on three areas: agriculture (crop and livestock production), natural resource management, and market engagement. We implement projects directly with communities and these three approaches are further enhanced with integration of cross cutting issues such as climate change, gender and capacity building.
Purpose of the Role:
The Senior Finance Officer will be responsible for all financial support to the respective projects including, but not limited to, input into the development of budgets, ensuring compliance with grant conditions relating to finance, financial analysis, ongoing budget management, supporting budget holders with provision of advice and reports, supporting on development of budgets and forecasts and monitoring of on-going spend. Maintains acceptable accounting standard and financial control according to the FARM Africa finance rules and procedures.He/she will also be responsible for building the capacity of the relevant project finance and admin officers.
Key areas of responsibilities are:
- Assist Project Finance Manager and other support staff in the budget coding
- Work closely with project finance personnel to monitor all budgets to ensure compliance with donor requirements and also monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with budgets
- Participate in the quarterly review meetings and assist Programme Finance Coordinators in reviewing variances from the grant contracts to take actions before donor reports sent
- Ensure all relevant staff members are informed of donor requirements and work closely with program and other support functions to ensure compliance
- Maintain and manage the finance filing system to ensure that it provides easy and immediate access to financial information
- Assists the program department staff and actively participate in the preparation of budgets
- Provide support in the preparation of annual budgets at the main office
- Provides support to program staff on the analysis of Financial Reports as per the project guideline
- Support in the timely completion of checklists for month and year ends
- Assist project finance managers on allocation, revision and monitoring of funds
- Support in archiving all finance documents and ensuring that they are in safe custody and easily accessible by the finance team.
- Provides support to program staff on sub-grant management issues
- Prepares appropriate financial reports as required by the program finance coordinators;
- Assist program finance coordinator in periodic budget review, and preparation of budget amendments when necessary
- Provide admin support in monitoring procurement and vehicle usage
- Actively participate in preparation of budget monitoring reports
- Closely monitor as well as conduct periodic review of project accounts as well as prepare sound cash management system at field level
- Support in preparation of monthly balance sheet accounts
- Develop a system to control and follow up of all income requests.
- Maintain reconciliations of expenditures of projects
- Actively participate in the monthly financial report reviews for assigned Feld Offices and make necessary adjusting entries
- Provide support to prepare donor currency fund status report on a monthly basis
- Participates in the annual budget preparation and reviews for the field offices annual budget
- Prepare journal entries for payroll allocations, prepayments, accruals, corrections, etc. relating to the project
- Closely follow up project accounts to ensure that their spending is within the new CSA guideline
- Provide training to project staff for which she/he is responsible on donor requirements and related compliance requirements as well as travel to project sites.
- Be part of project audit process as well as in the annual general audit of Farm Africa
- Contribute to the improvement of the finance systems and working standards
- Keeps up to date with developments in the sector, including best practice examples and ensure ongoing personal development and learning
- Ensures the communication of finance policies and procedures within the project, with partners and other stakeholders as appropriate
- Performs other duties as assigned by the line manager.
These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
- EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
- GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
- IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
- BOLD. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
REPORTS TO: Project Finance Manager/Programme Finance Coordinator
REPORTING TO POSTHOLDER: Project Finance & Admin. Officers
Qualification and Experience:
- BA/ACCA or above in the area of finance/accounting and related fields
- Knowledge of SUN & Vision 5 accounting system
- Excellent communication skills in English language(both written and verbal)
- A sound understanding of administration procedures
- Good understanding and firm belief in gender equality
- At least five years of experience in financial management in similar organizations
- Experience of working with major donors, including DFID and EU, as well as Federal and Regional Government and the ChSA
- Project budget monitoring in multiple currencies
Skills and Abilities:
- Skills in budgeting and maintaining accounts
- Working under pressure and meeting tight deadlines
- A high level of attention to detail and problem solving skill
- Discretion and a proven ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent team building skills and the ability to work in a multi partner approach
- Strong analytical, organizational and IT skills
- Proven numeracy and data analysis skills
- Strong sense of integrity and personal commitment to the goals and values of Farm Africa
How to Apply
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 3 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing [email protected] with the subject Senior Finance Officer by January 19, 2019.
Documents cannot be returned and due to large number of applications, only short listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are especially welcomed from female applicants.
- Job City Addis Ababa