Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for just and sustainable societies where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We aim at maximizing our social impact and contributing to systemic change. We operate where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where lack of opportunities and service delivery keep families in extreme poverty.
Cordaid is one of the leading CSO’s in the Netherlands, working in fragile contexts on Health, Resilience, Economic opportunities, Humanitarian aid and Security & Justice. Apart from our work abroad we also contribute to new forms of job creation and social innovation in The Netherlands.
Cordaid is a member of the international Catholic networks Caritas and CIDSE and we are active in worldwide civil society networks.
For the Cordaid Country office in Democratic Republic Congo (DRC) Cordaid is looking for a
Senior Financial Manager
The Cordaid program in DRC has started in DRC in 2000.
Cordaid is currently working in the following areas of expertise: Health, Education, Security and Justice, Economic Resilience and Humanitarian Aid. We have one main office in Kinshasa, and 5 others regional offices in Goma, Bukavu, Bunia, Gemena and Kananga. Cordaid is optimizing subsidiarity between Head and Country office. In the shift from grant giving to grant seeking organisation operations in the country become more and more complex. Consortia with different stakeholders plus a multitude of donors and formats, rules and regulations need to be monitored. Reinforcing the capacity in the office in view of taking on more responsibilities requires high level qualified senior financial staff willing and able to work in difficult fragile context.
Position and responsibility
The Senior Financial Manager, as Head of the Finance unit, is responsible for all aspects of overall financial management, as well as administration for all operations of Cordaid in DRC.
He/she is part of the Country Management Team and reports to the Director Country Office. He/she will work closely with colleagues based in the office and in some sub offices in the country as well as with Cordaid HQ in The Netherlands, including the HQ-based Financial Controllers. He/she will also liaise with representatives and financial officers of counterpart partner organizations. Cordaid is optimizing working in a project organization. Therefor on some projects also directly link with different project leaders.
General objective of the posting
The Senior Financial Manager is responsible for managing the accounts receivables and payables of the organization. He also develops the organization’s budget, prepares financial reports and is involved in directing its investment activities. The Senior Financial Manager is also responsible for planning the organization’s long-term financial goals and protecting assets.
In collaboration with relevant Program Staff, Project Leaders and Director Country Office:
· Prepare budgets, both for (externally financed) projects as well as support units, on annual basis or other frequency, as may be appropriate;
· Identifies bottlenecks in the budgets of the programme/projects and advices on financial improvements and ways to secure the costs and benefits, conform Cordaid financial rules and regulations.
· On basis of budget performance, prepare budget revisions for approval to relevant parties;
· Carry out regular budget monitoring (budget vs expenditure) and advice relevant staff and Country Director, pro-actively and on request, on all areas of attention on budget performance and the office’s cost recovery;
· Prepare and maintain cash flow forecast based on the various budgets.
· Pro-actively interacts with budget holders about cash flow management within projects, following internal control regulations and improves compliance of budget holders to policies. Negotiates about price setting in business contracts of complex logistical tenders.
Daily financial management
· Coordinates the activities of, and provides advice and guidance to, the financial staff in the Cordaid offices elsewhere in the country;
· Ensures that cash- and bank balances are sufficient at all times, which will include complete and timely cash requests to the head offices in the Netherlands;
· Ensures that procurement requests meet with financial requirements and are supported by provision in the (relevant) budgets;
· Reviews all requests for payment and verifies that these are compliant with regulations before signing off;
· Ensures that invoices are paid timely and correctly;
· Maintains an up-to-date overview of outstanding liabilities (including services and/or goods provided but not yet paid) at all times;
· Monitors and manages balance accounts including suspense accounts, advances, etc.;
· Ensures that the finance officer responsible for maintaining petty cash has a sufficient balance and that all transactions are supported by supporting documentation;
· Is first point of contact with the Bank and maintains regular contact;
· Reviews all draft contracts for financial correctness;
· Facilitates the activities of internal and external auditors when reviewing the accounts of Cordaid office.
· Realises the financial and personnel administration of a field office, adjusting administrative processes in a way that secures auditability, timeliness, reliability of information and assures an optimal cost allocation within country offices.
· Monitors the operational business of the Field Office and its contractual payments/invoices and reviews contracts with stakeholders, to assure keeping the compliance policy of Cordaid and legal regulations
· Prepares timely monthly financial reports in accordance with internal procedures, for approval to the Director Country Office, which includes cash- and bank reconciliation, budget depletion overviews, balance accounts, transaction sheets, and cash request for the forthcoming period;
· Prepares financial reports for external donors in accordance with donor agreements, ensures that these are complete and compatible with narrative reporting;
· Provides staff with budget or financial information upon request;
· Prepares any other financial report as may be required.
· Collects information within the administrative organisations and reports about the financial results, specifics and possible deviations, following required reporting standards, providing solutions to minimize the impact of deviations. Advises from a financial perspective on matters that affect business management.
· Is responsible, in close collaboration with the Director Country Office and program heads, for the financial wellbeing (stability, liquidity, sustainability) of the Cordaid office;
· Maintains a solid understanding of all Cordaid financial rules and regulations, as laid down in the Field Manual and other official documentation, and ensures that all Cordaid staff acts in accordance with these;
· Pro-actively provides advice to Management on areas of suggested improvement in financial management;
· Provides advice to partner organisations on financial matters in relation to Cordaid support;
· Develops partner capacity building programmes;
· Leads personnel in accordance with the management style and social policy of Cordaid, focused on productivity, employee development and satisfaction.
· Manages large and complex partnership and projects. Ensures cost coverage of the Counrty Office staff and provides strategic management information for the director.
· Ensures efficient use of resources and controls quality of work.
· Any other assignment that can reasonably be asked from the position.
· Master degree in financial management;
· At least seven years’ experience in working with an INGO, of which at least five in a senior
· Good and proven experience with working with various external (institutional) donors like UN, EC, Global Fund, World Bank;
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
· Strong organiser of one’s own work (knowing how to prioritise);
· Strong communication skills;
· Be diplomatic, culturally sensitive, result-oriented, innovative and a strong team player;
· Excellent French and English writing and communication skills;
· Computer skills to include a solid working knowledge of Excel, including the usage of complex formulas;
· Work experience in fragile, stressful settings;
· Proficiency in financial software, including Pastel/Sage and Dynamics will be desirable;
· Experience in managing finance teams of over 5 people;
· Experience in managing partner organisations.
Specifics of duty station
The Senior Financial Manager will be based in the Cordaid office in Kinshasa. Occasional travel to other project areas, security permitting, will occasionally be required.
The contract period is for 12 months starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period. We offer a Cordaid contract with a competitive salary (a gross monthly salary between
€ 3771,- and € 5464,- based on a 40-hour working week and depending on years of relevant experience) and a benefit package which includes R&R, a holiday allowance of 8% and an end of year allowance of 8.3% of the gross salary, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, and hardship allowance.
Further information & how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be forwarded on attn. of mister Sylvain Duhau before 2 January 2019. An assessment might be part of the procedure.
- Job City Kinshasa