Pastoralist Welfare Organization is an Ethiopian resident NGO working for the overall betterment of life of pastoral, agro pastoral communities. PWO has been mainly implementing its diversified livelihood promotion, sustainable development interventions and emergency supports in Somali region.
The joint resilience building project is a 3 year project which will be implemented as a consortium with by PWO and another partner NRC. The project mainly works through climate smart agriculture on established climate adaptive villages in Dolloado and Dollobay woredas of Afder and liben zones of Ethiopian Somali region. Small scale irrigation farming is one of the climate smart agricultural practices planned in the project.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The role of Irrigation Agronomist is to contribute in the planning and implementation of all measures related to irrigated agriculture development in the joint resilience building project. The post holder will provide technical advice on irrigation scheme design and construction, water management, irrigation development, drainage, flood control, water user association organization & strengthening and infrastructure development works; promote small scale irrigation scheme combined with climate smart agronomic practices.
KEY TASK AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise on the cultivation of food crops, vegetables, fruit trees and fodder crops;
- Provide technical support to the post-harvest handling and marketing of local agricultural products;
- Taking part in supervision of works, acceptance of works related to irrigation scheme development;
- Together with project staffs prepare work plans and budget in line with project proposal.
- Ensure that the project is implemented according to the plan.
- Actively participate in regular planning, monitoring and evaluation of project progress.
- Coordinate and run training on improved agronomic practices
- Give training on climate smart agriculture for project beneficiaries including sensitizing of climate change and its adaptation.
- Monitor and document the project progress, lessons, good experience and impact with the community representatives.
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- BSC in Agronomy, Irrigation Agronomy, Irrigation Engineering ,Plant Sciences, Crop sciences, Arid land agriculture, Extension and other related disciplines
- Knowledge of CAV establishment and climate smart agriculture
- Proven knowledge in the economics of irrigation agronomy.
- At least 6 years of practical work experience in the field of irrigation agriculture (focus on small-scale irrigation would be an asset)
- Previous NGO work experience in rural development, particularly in climate smart agriculture and CAV
- Good Experience in rural development particularly in diversified livelihood and participatory research approaches.
- Experience of project planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
- Designing, Bill of Quantities for irrigation structures like canals, division boxes, etc
- Proven experiences in the solar irrigation systems Skills & abilities
- Good English language skills (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of local language (Somali) is Mandatory
- Good team building skills and the ability to work in a multi partner approach
- Willingness to reside in rural/marginal areas, ability to work with minimum supervision
- Computer skills (power point, Microsoft word, excel, etc)
- Proven skills in analytical/technical reporting writing, results based reporting, development of human interest stories, case studies, etc
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send their non returnable CV, application letter and supportive credential within 10 days from the date of the vacancy announcement. Application should be sent to the following email address: [email protected] /[email protected] Telephone 0116626407/0116616536 Addis Ababa HO
- Job City Dollo Ado woreda, Dollobay woredas, Somali