Job Summary: The senior Logistics Officer will be based in Lira under the overall supervision of the Country Director. The primary responsibility of this position is to manage the overall logistics operations of International Lifeline Fund with a particular focus on procurement, fleet and adequate stewardship of assets. He/she will ensure that all Lifeline business is conducted in a professional manner which complies with International Lifeline Fund procurement policies and guidelines in alliance with Uganda PPDA standards.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
· In coordination with the programs, prepare and monitor Lifeline’s annual procurement plan.
· Implement procurement procedure in accordance to the procurement standards and guidelines of International Lifeline Fund.
· Make sure Lifeine logistical procedures are respected and supervise both clients and suppliers in the application of these procedures
· Controlling deliveries to Sub-offices and programs in terms of quantity and quality.
· Oversee the procurement of goods and services process from planning, tendering, evaluation, selection and awarding in accordance with Lifeline procurement policies and guidelines.
· Conduct market survey to gather and compare information on materials and applicable pricing and coordinate pre-qualification of service providers and maintain the list of suppliers. Maintain Lifeline suppliers’ relationships.
· Monitoring all stages of the clearance process for timely releases and ensuring smooth clearance. On-time replies to queries raised by customs, URA / other relevant government agencies, and ensuring timely renewal of exemptions.
· Manage the movement of shipments in and/or out of the country following Uganda and East Africa foreign trade policy and organizational policy and procedures and to comply with relevant local, country and international law and processes.
· Manage the necessary documentation and online forms for the efficient, cost-effective, and lawful execution of all import/export activities.
· Liaising with Clearing Agents, Freight Forwarders, Shipping Lines and Port Authorities to ensure efficient and cost-effective logistics; import/export law and procedures; tariffs and duties; licenses and restrictions.
· Ensure that the physical organization of items within warehouses is logical, optimizing space and preserving accessibility of items and that all goods are packed and stored safely and securely.
· Check the accuracy and filing of all storage documents.
· Check the registration of each item going in and out in respect of Lifeline procedures.
· Ensure physical inventories are done on a regular basis and crosscheck the physical inventories reports done by the Warehouse Officer.
· Perform regular random checks across the various documents (invoices, stock cards, delivery notes, physical inventory reports, etc.)
· Select carriers and negotiate contracts and rates in coordination with the Country Director and senior leadership team.
· Update and evaluate metrics to assess performance and implement enhancements.
· Develop a robust contract management system for proper tracking of deliverables of goods and services.
· Represent the organization in negotiating contracts, supplies and conduct procurement in a way that certify value for money.
· Plan and implement logistics operating procedures.
· Initiate request for quotations and other tender documents and submit to the Lifeline bid committee for approval.
· Develop and (upon approval) implement material flow management system to meet cookstove production requirements.
· Ensure procured materials and supplies are received at the project site on a timely and in a cost-effective manner while intact and in the quality at the cost agreed upon with the vendor/partner.
· Create and implement checks and balance to reduce risk of fraud.
· Work closely with finance department and the Country Director, draft service contract agreements and conduct large procurement.
· Train and guide Lifeline staff in procurement policies, guidelines and controls.
· Coach and mentor Logistics staff.
· Oversee management and control of inventory.
· Make sure inventory always remains well stocked to ensure smooth flow of production and program operation.
· Train the warehouse officer to conduct timely and accurate physical inventory.
· Supervise the senior warehouse officer.
Vehicle maintenance and Fleet management
· Supervise drivers and train them on work ethics and record keeping.
· Ensure all vehicle logbooks are filled accurately.
· Ensure daily and weekly vehicle check are conducted by the drivers.
· Prepare vehicle weekly movement plan and follow the daily use of the vehicles.
· In coordination with the Country Director, allocate vehicles to meet transport need for the programs on a timely manner.
· Ensure that all hired vehicles are in good mechanical condition and ready for the hired purpose.
· Ensure contracts of all hired vehicles are active/ up to date and professionally managed with the support of the Country Director.
· Ensure that office internet is functional and timely upload of approved staff airtime.
· Periodic update of antivirus.
· Prepare and submit monthly and quarterly reports as required by your supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Logistics, Supply Chain or a relevant field, with at least five (5) years of working experience in a similar position.
· In-depth knowledge of the consumer goods industry.
· Solid understanding of logistics and inventory management software is a Plus.
· Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational abilities.
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
· Must be comfortable in formulating work plans.
· Ability to work under pressure and deal tactfully with sensitive issues.
· High level of integrity and ethical standards.
· Competent in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
How to apply
- Job City Lira