About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps aims to develop pro poor agricultural markets in Northern Uganda and promote inclusive growth. We have identified a set of market failures that are standing in the way of the effective functioning of the agricultural sector in Northern Uganda. These include input markets, land tenure issues, storage infrastructure; access to finance, rural transport and processing capacity. The project intends to address these market failures by facilitating improvements in agricultural productivity and to encourage private sector investment in medium to large agribusiness through the application of a market systems development approach. The programme also places a strong focus on reforming the regulatory environment in Northern Uganda by promoting more effective regulation and application of quality grades and standards.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps is looking for a Senior Operations Officer responsible for leading the operations function for the Nutec- Project. The senior operations officer will oversee all arrangements and coordination for program support logistical duties including; Administrative, Procurement, Logistics, Finance roles etc.
Operational support for the Short-Term Technical Assistance (STTA) pool of consultants
- Support Deputy Team Leader in the engagement and mobilisation of STTAs
o administration of recruitment
o liaise with the Mercy Corps Europe Headquarters in Edinburgh
o Coordinate with the Mercy Corps Uganda operations teams to provide operational support to STTA in country – flight bookings, hotel bookings, local transport, phones etc
o Brief STTA on arrival – provide a welcome pack and orientation to all new STTA to ensure their stay in country is well managed
Communications and events support
- Work with the Deputy Team Leader to support development of knowledge products
- Support programme events planning and delivery under market development workstream
- Provide support for printing and dissemination of publications
- Provide on-going operational support to DTL and TL to ensure the smooth running of the project
- Manage operations support (internet, printing etc) for project team members embedded in partner finance institution
- Provide admin support to the team in organising meetings, workshops etc
- Support local travel and field trip logistics, vehicle maintenance, equipment management
- Manage petty cash for the EB embedded team
- Support monitoring of delivery of project activities against the agreed annual work plan
- Work with the Mercy Corps Corporate Staff in Operations, Procurement, IT, Finance and Human Resources to complete requirements for all procurement, operations and corporate processes for the smooth running of the project as directed by the Team Leader or the Deputy Team Leader
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Security: Work closely with the country teams’ security focal points to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its work. Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security management priorities.
Representation: Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring positive recognition to Mercy Corps and to not endanger mercy Corps’ humanitarian mission.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Reports Directly To: Reports to NUTEC Financial Services Team Leader
Works Directly With: NUTEC Financial Services Team, Mercy Corps Uganda team and Mercy Corps Europe contract management team**
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Knowledge and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Procurement or closely related field
· At least 5 years’ experience handling administrative, procurement, logistics or finance functions within a donor funded program or NGO required.
· Exposure to banking or business
· An understanding of agriculture finance or microfinance a plus
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are required – written test will be conducted on developing reports and communications materials.
· Demonstrated experience of using MS Office particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint a must.
· Multi-tasking, organizational, prioritisation skills are necessary. High energy, problem solver with the ability to work independently will be required as this is a very high intensity position with deadlines.
How to apply:
How to apply: Submit your application through email to [email protected] addressed to the Human Resource Director, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Monday, 24th June, 2019. Subject of email should include the position you are applying for. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Job City Kampala