The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
Senior Program Officer – FCV
Job #: 171802
Job Family: Other
Job Type: Professional & Technical
Recruitment Type: International Hire
Duties and Responsibilites
The Senior Program Officer – FCV will coordinate closely with the Country Director in the Abuja Country office, as well as other specialists and have the following responsibilities with regard to support to the peace efforts:
- Facilitate, in close consultations with GP PMs, the collaboration among the Agriculture, Education, Health, Social Protection and GPSUR project teams in the North East to identify specific actions to provide integrated and specific solutions to clients.
- Lead the Bank dialogue with the development partners and government (federal and state) counterparts on the North East to ensure an effective and harmonized approach to the key issues facing the NE.
- Work with communications team to design communication strategies and information systems that allow for effective monitoring and communication to internal and external stakeholders on engagement in the NE.
- Regularly report to senior management and other internal and external stakeholders on strategies, impact, activities, and threats related to operations in the NE.
- Work with FM, Procurement and Safeguards GP PMs to identify and mobilize the appropriate and dedicated staff for supporting the delivery of the WB program in the North East.
- Interact on North East program issues with FCV Cross-Cutting Solution Area (CCSA), facilitating the collaboration between FCV CCSA and the GP teams in the North East.
- Master’s degree with 8 years’ experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related social science (e.g., Sociology, Anthropology, Economics, Political Science).
- Demonstration, through written work and dialogue, of in-depth knowledge of social issues and issues of conflict and fragility in Africa.
- Relevant experience in conflict and broader social development issues in Africa.
- Proven capacity to translate analytical work into policy advice and operational, actionable, recommendations.
- Basic knowledge of World Bank’s operations including social safeguard policies on involuntary resettlement and indigenous peoples.
- Demonstrated skills and direct work experience with at least one or more of the following: public consultations; public hearings; participatory research methods (including observation, surveys); participatory rural and urban appraisal; participatory poverty assessments; participatory monitoring and evaluation; and grievance redress mechanisms. ·
- Proven capacity to work with a wide range of stakeholders, international organizations, development agencies, government counterparts, beneficiaries of Bank projects, and civil society organizations. ·
- Strong oral and written presentation skills, creativity and problem-solving skills. ·
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams and multicultural environments. ·
- Willingness to travel regularly in Africa, including in areas affected by fragility. ·
- Enthusiasm for, and commitment to, poverty alleviation, social development and addressing the needs of the most vulnerable.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Social Development Implications on Policy, Institutions, and Operations – Familiarity with the implications of social development on policy, institutions, and operations.
- Analytical Tools for Social Sustainability – Solid experience conducting social development analyses, producing meaningful results, and applying the tools in the course of an operation.
- Participation and Consultation – Solid experience conducting social development consultative and participatory approaches, and applying the approaches in the course of an operation.
- Social Safeguards – Familiar with and can apply (under supervision) the social safeguard policies to a situation and identify issues and risks.
- Integrative Skills – Working to develop an integrated view across all facets of current sector.
- Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Understands policy making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients.
- Policy Dialogue Skills – Identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders.
- Lead and Innovate – Develops innovative solutions.
- Deliver Results for Clients – Proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
- Make Smart Decisions – Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward.
Method of Application
- If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment.
- All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
- Job City Abuja