Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Senior Program Officer – Food For Peace
Reference No.: MDG / HUMOPS / 2020 / 00025
Location: Damboa, Borno
Position Status: Full Time
Program / Department Summary
- The senior program coordinator position will be based in Damboa with travel to Maiduguri Borno State on a regular basis.
- The responsibilities of the position will include providing support to program implementation of food assistance, nutrition and energy access, mentoring and guidance for staff working on FFP, support in set-up of program activities, and capacity building to field level team members within Mercy Corps programs and locations.
- The position will monitor the context and implementation environment as well as the program quality to ensure it remains conducive for expansion.
- The position will also contribute in exploring local partnerships for both immediate programming with an eye to long-term development and create those linkages along with senior management.
General Position Summary
- The senior program officer supports the humanitarian Program Manager- FFP, in the day-to-day implementation of REACH 4 project activities of Mercy Corps Northeast Nigeria.
- S/he will work closely with Nutrition, Cash, livelihood and Protection in their field level implementation with aim of ensuring smooth project implementation and delivery of project objectives.
- In the absence of the Program Manager, the Senior program officer with support from Humanitarian Director will act on their behalf, managing the project and work closely both with management and support staff (including finance, administration and program) in Damboa and Maiduguri to ensure the day to day activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
- The senior program officer reports directly to the Humanitarian Program Manager- FFP
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Directly support the Program Manager in managing all operations and activities in northeast of Nigeria according to the work plan, project document and implementation strategy.
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within the Food security, Nutrition and livelihood unit, ensuring high technical quality and synergies in program implementation
- Provide technical inputs on the execution of the implementation of Food security activities in a timely manner.
- Maintain filing of all Mercy Corps beneficiaries, and ensure all lists are well captured electronically and manually.
- Assist in Monitoring of all program activities.
- Ensure that key learning’s are extracted from Food Security implementation, and incorporate them in Food Security implementation and staff development processes
- In close collaboration with the Program Manager build the team members capacity ensuring that there are fluent communication channels that the reporting schedule is timely met and that projects objectives are achieved.
- Work with all program teams, M&E on food security monitoring including baselines, end-lines, midterm reviews, lesson learning exercises and evaluations and ensure learning informs programming
- Participate and facilitate coordination and collaboration with other agencies.
- Provide inputs to the design and implementation of trainings in any areas related to the program activities for staff, communities and program beneficiaries.
- Closely coordinate and share information with MEL/PAQ and the various sectors, participate in general program support with regular program meetings and activity plans as required.
- Coordinate closely with the Program Manager and relevant administrative and finance staff to ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources and transport needs of the projects are conducted within MC policy and with the maximum benefit to the projects.
- Support the Program Manager in forecasting expenditure surpluses and deficits to enable adjustments to the different projects in a timely fashion.
- Ensures beneficiary complaints mechanisms and Accountability to the Affected Population is addressed in the appropriate way that does not discredit the image of Mercy Corps.
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of relationships with communities and local government in the target location.
- Mobilize communities to participate in the design, implementation and maintenance of projects as well as design viable strategies that are both respectful with the local culture and are gender-sensitive and effective in engaging women in the activities of the project.
- Provide written and oral translation and report writing for program staff, as necessary;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency cash transfer interventions.
- Responsible for expenditure tracking of activities carried out in the field.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with the community, government and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall program targets are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- The senior program officer will supervise a Program Officer who in turn will supervise program assistant.
- Reports Directly To: the Program Manager-FFP
- Works Directly With: Senior nutrition officer, Senior Cash officer and livelihood officer
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing and reporting
- At least three years of Food security and nutrition program implementation in the northeast part of Nigeria.
- 3-4 years of experience in project implementation, or work with local partners or in any role that included training and capacity building of staff or partners.
- Bachelor degree in relevant field or equivalent
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa, Kanuri and other local languages is highly recommended
- Strong Work Ethic, having the ability to learn the most efficient way of learning the most efficient way to complete tasks and finding ways to save time while completing daily assignments.
- Dependability and Responsibility, having the ability to come to work on time, are there when they are supposed to be, and are responsible for their actions and behavior.
- Adaptability, being adaptable and maintaining flexibility in completing tasks in an ever-changing workplace.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit not more than 4 pages CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected] using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be invited.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number on the envelope or in the subject line if sending via email.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- All applications must include the Position Title on the envelope and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Job City Borno