Senior Research Assistant – Biometrics
Reports to: Head of Genebank and Senior Biometrician
Location: Rabat, Morocco
Advertisement date: 4 February 2020 Closing date: 28 February 2020
Main purpose of position
The main duties and responsibilities of the research assistant – Biometrics will be to undertake design of experiments and data analysis for ICARDA breeding and agronomy programs.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
· Provide Statistical consultancy to a team of multidisciplinary scientists through
the full breeding cycle from design, analysis to publication.
· Contribute to the development and use of standard procedures for data capture and processing for experiments.
· Support capacity building in agricultural statistical analysis and the
use of statistical packages for ICARDA and NARS scientists.
· Investigate statistical new methods, tools and approaches in breeding and quantitative genetics.
· Participate in project planning meetings and reporting.
· Assist in presentation and visualization of results.
· Contribute to research data management and scientific article publication;
· Supervise and train Technical Assistants/Field Workers
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential qualifications and competencies
· MSc Degree in Agricultural Statistics/Biometrics, General statistics or similar field with minimum of 3 years of experience with strong background in statistical analysis and computing;
· Experience in statistical analysis using R, GenStat and/or other statistical package;
· Strong background in data management, analytics and presentation;
· Ability to manage large datasets;
· Good communication and ability to communicate to a variety of audiences;
· Excellent written and spoken English;
· Good interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively in a highly dynamic
multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
· Experience in data mining and machine learning is preferred;
· Knowledge of Database Management systems will be an added advantage.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is a nationally recruited project-based position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, medical insurance and leave provisions. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract until 31 December 2021. The contract may be renewed subject to satisfactory performance and continued need for position. The first year will be probationary period.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to apply:
Please apply online at https://apply.workable.com/icarda/j/CE54B867FC/ by 28 February 2020. Applications will still be considered until the position is filled.
- Job City Rabat