MSF France is looking to fill the position of a Social Worker based in Homa Bay. The successful candidate reports to the Mental Health Psychosocial Supervisor.
Objective of the Position:
Carry out all social-related activities, in order to ease the patient’s situation, to maximize his/her adherence to treatment and to improve his/her psychosocial condition.
Tasks & Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Conduct social assessment for patients on follow-up at the 3 chronic sites and palliative home-based care on a needs basis and link appropriately to the medical team, mental health services and counseling.
• Facilitate communication between medical staff to ensure best care is provided
• Liaise with the medical team to provide social support activities targeting patients in at chronic sites and palliative home-based care including NHIF enrollment
• Support the social support activities( waiving process) of patients admitted at Homabay County Teaching and Referral Hospital( HBCTRH)
• Educate patients and their families on health care systems including policies, procedures and services to understand their discharge requirements, use of medication and follow up visits
• Assist families in dealing with the stressors of illness and help minimize the impact on patients and their families by linking them appropraitely to other support system during and after discharge
• Conduct home visits where need be to verify social issues and need for support
• Advocate to patient health care rights and wellness
• Document social casework, assessments, and monthly reports
• Identify gaps related to social work, follow up with relevant staff and share recommendations with the supervisor
• Participate in capacity building/ sensitization of medical teams on social work including developing materials for sensitization sessions
• Participate in multidisciplinary team discussions to ensure a holistic care for all patients
• Respond to any other activity related to the position and as may be requested by the supervisor
Qualifications & Requirements:
Diploma/Degree in Social work/Sociology, Desirable Bachelor’s degree in social work/Sociology.
Knowledge & Expérience
Two years minimum in a similar social job; experience with MSF or other NGOs, desirable.
Essential, local language; English and Swahili.
Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service oriented.
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF and a PIN certificate). Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a motivation letter and an updated Curriculum Vitae as a single file mentioning on the subject email line, “Social Worker”, to: Email: [email protected]
Applications must be received by the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. MSF is an equal opportunity Employer and does not charge any application/ recruitment fee.