Internal and External Vacancy Annoncement
JOB TITLE: Sr. Gender and Youth Specialist
REPORTS TO: Deputy Chief of Party
LOCATIONS: Addis Ababa
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Senior Gender and Youth Specialist
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
FHI 360 is implementing a USAID funded 5-year program called USAID Caring for Vulnerable Children (CVC) for Ethiopia for the period of May 2017 to May 2022. The purpose of the program is to increase the utilization of services among Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) households to improve HIV and AIDS care. CVC is currently implemented in four regions: Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR, Tigray – and two City Administrations of Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa regions working through Local Implementing Partners. FHI 360-CVC plays the role of providing technical assistance, coordination and program services quality monitoring and improvement across multiple OVC local Implementing Partners. The program focuses on meeting the needs of HIV positive children and adolescent viral load suppression, and sexual violence prevention among adolescent girls and boys. In FY20, the program will support 138,000 OVC.
FHI 360 is therefore seeking a Senior Gender and Youth Specialist for a multi-year, multimillion dollar USAID-funded project in Ethiopia aimed at ensuring that orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), children living with or at risk for HIV/AIDS, children living and working on the streets (CLWS), children of female sex workers (FSW), children with disabilities, children at risk for and survivors of gender-based violence (GBV), adolescent girls and other highly vulnerable children (HVC) and their caregivers, gain access to quality and timely prevention, care and treatment services. The program will increase and improve organizational and community capacity to provide health services and strengthen households economically.
The Senior Gender and Youth Specialist will provide overall guidance and technical expertise on inclusive development to ensure complete mainstreaming of gender, youth and social inclusion in all aspects of programming. S/he will directly support the Chief of Party (COP) in mainstreaming gender equality and social inclusion in design, roll-out and day-to-day management and implementation of technical program interventions and analysis. This position will provide leadership and technical expertise on the components of the evidence-based and gender-sensitive interventions including GBV prevention and support services, community engagement on gender equality, , social inclusion, women’s and young girls economic empowerment, male engagement for gender equality and women’s empowerment, and building capacity to mainstream gender equality throughout project activities. The Senior Gender and Youth Specialist will be responsible for design and implementation of tools, guidance, and project policy to ensure achievement of technical program results. The Specialist will serve as part of the project Senior Management Team (SMT).
Strategic Planning and Project Management:
- The Senior Gender and Youth Specialist will guide SMT on project-related gender, youth and social inclusion policy issues.
- S/he provide inputs to ensure appropriate inclusion of gender, youth and social inclusion perspectives in all planned strategies and activities.
- The Gender and Youth Specialist will lead detailed context analysis including needs assessments and identify strategies for reaching out to people with identified needs, ensuring that the project incorporates gender equity and utilizes best practices in HIV-sensitive and gender-sensitive child protection, GBV prevention and response, and youth programming that serves highly vulnerable children, adolescents, caregivers, and communities.
- The incumbent will also design and develop gender, youth and social inclusion strategies, activities and plans, ensuring they are in line with all project objectives and results, for the benefit of the target populations; contribute to the development and implementation of annual program work plans and performance milestones and contribute to strategic planning.
- S/he will keenly review project reports and annual implementation plans to ensure the integration of gender, youth and social inclusion in the narrative.
- Provide technical, programmatic, operational, and managerial oversight of all activities that have a gender, youth or social inclusion aspect.
- Ensure that gender-based violence (GBV) prevention and care, and appropriate youth programming is included in the coordination between clinical and socio-economic service providers
- Ensure all activities promote gender transformative and positive change
- Promote male engagement strategies in GBV programming and support the identification of promising practices on male engagement in GBV prevention
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning:
- The Senior Gender and Youth Specialist will work in close collaboration with the project Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Team, lead the design and implementation of mechanisms for measuring project progress towards enhancing gender, youth and social inclusion.
- Perform gender, youth and social inclusion studies, and advise on indicators for measuring effective gender, youth and social inclusion strategies,
- S/he will conduct gender analyses/assessments to measure progress and strengthen project activities.
- Keenly monitor the overall project gender, youth and social inclusion activities, gather lessons learned, and use results to appropriately adapt project implementation.
- Work in liaison with the MEL team, lead regular monitoring and evaluation to ensure quality gender, youth and social inclusion programming, guaranteeing fidelity to project deliverables and FHI 360 policies.
- Explore gender-related barriers to follow up, access to health services, and ART adherence for children and monitoring Viral suppression , adolescents, pregnant women and new mothers and their babies. Advise LIPs on gender norms and HIV education for girls’ clubs, youth clubs, affinity groups, VSLA, etc.
- Monitor the external environment and evolving needs regarding gender, youth and social inclusion; and work to introduce necessary programmatic changes.
- Contribute to the development of annual work plans, materials and tools, and writing of program reports
- Carry out capacity assessments and capacity building to enhance the project’s response to gender, youth and social inclusion needs. Specifically, work with social service worker (SSW) associations to build gender-sensitive capacity assessment, strengthening plans, and activities
- S/he will mentor and ensure training for project staff, partners, and stakeholders on standards and instruments, innovative, culturally appropriate, and socially inclusive approaches to mainstream gender equality, youth and social inclusion throughout project activities.
- Design and document training modules and packages of services with focus on adolescent 9-14-year-old girls & boy to reduce the risk of sexual violence and HIV infection among young adolescents.
- Build the capacity of Local Implementing Partners (LIPs) to plan and implement evidence-based, age-appropriate and gender-sensitive interventions.
- Collaborate with partners to create parent and caregiver education that promotes gender equality and male engagement
- Promote gender-sensitive parenting skills through parenting education interventions
- Collaborate with partners to provide gender input on the barrier analyses of school performance and retention (especially for girls).
- Assist in the development of gender-sensitive menstrual hygiene programming
- Build the capacity of Local Implementing Partners (LIP) to facilitate community dialogue sessions with male stakeholders to promote male involvement in health, uptake of HIV services, GBV prevention and response, parenting, livelihood, and education.
- Providing technical assistance, coordination and program services quality monitoring and improvement across multiple OVC local Implementing Partners
The jobholder will also represent the project in established relevant gender, youth and social inclusion forums and networks. Specifically, will work closely with the Ministry of Women and Children Affairs (MoWCA) and the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (MoLSA) on issues related to vulnerable children, youth, adolescent girls, GBV, and women’s economic empowerment.
- The incumbent will facilitate coordination with USG and other stakeholders on strategic policy and programming issues.
- S/he will collaborate with the mentors and community mobilizers to develop relevant advocacy and behavioral change messaging in support of reducing gender biases in the target communities. Will also collaborate with partners on male engagement for women’s and youth economic empowerment in Village, Savings, and Loans Associations (VSL) programming
- S/he will build relationships and coordinate with the gender department and other relevant ministry partners involved in HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment, adolescent sexual and reproductive health, gender and women’s empowerment.
- S/he will liaise regularly with FHI 360’s other programs in country to share learning and promote gender integration among FHI 360’s portfolio of projects in Ethiopia (if that is relevant).
- Perform other duties as assigned
FHI 360 anticipates that the Sr. Gender and Youth Specialist will be based in in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with project-funded travel to other parts of Ethiopia.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work and are subject to modification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Sr. Gender and Youth Specialist job placement must hold a Master’s degree in gender and development studies or related discipline (e.g., public health, social work, gender studies, development studies).
- At least five years’ experience in gender and Inclusive development programming: Strong experience and knowledge of strategic design.
- Detailed technical knowledge of gender and youth empowerment principles as they relate to HIV/AIDS, girls’ education, women’s empowerment, prevention and response to gender-based violence and/or violence against children (VAC) including experience with male involvement is a strong asset.
- Familiarity with HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment, reproductive health and GBV prevention and response, specifically as it relates to government policies, programs and partnerships addressing the needs of HIV-impacted children.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the child protection and education sector within the Ethiopia context, particularly topics related community engagement for improved access and retention
- Experience using social mobilization/behavior change approaches at multiple levels (national, district, community, school, and individual) preferred.
- Understanding of quantitative and qualitative M&E research methods.
- Significant track record in gender capacity building, programming and monitoring and evaluation on core gender and GBV concepts.
- Previous experience conducting gender related assessments and demonstrated experience developing and integrating inclusive-related content and messaging in communications, tools and training materials, and in project activities across all technical components;
- Experience working with USAID-funded programs, or other large, complex development projects, especially those conducted in Ethiopia and/or East Africa.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with minimal supervision: demonstrated ability to plan and organize work to deliver results, consistently approaching work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude, demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills in English required, and focus on impact and results and responding positively to critical feedback.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
Interested and qualified candidates can send their application letter & updated CV through [email protected] before/on September 03/2019.
Please note that, when you send your application, state the position title that you are applying for in the Subject line. Failure to do this will lead to application disqualified.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Job City Addis Ababa