Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
SRH/GBV Technical Advisor
MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developped internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacement of population as well as cholera outbreak).
I. Essential Duties
The SRH/GBV Technical Advisor provides strategic and technical leadership for MDM’s Maiduguri programmatic mission, focusing on Sexual and Reproductive Health as well as Gender based Violence related to clinical management of rape. The Technical Advisor is responsible for overseeing the quality and technical aspects of the SRH and GBV program, through formal and on-the-job training and supervision, and other methods. All the SRH/GBV related trainings and technical supports must be based on National guidelines, MdM guidelines and WHO guidelines.
- 1. Technical Supervision
- Provide remote strategic, technical and programmatic support to build the capacity of MDM’s country teams as well as program partners and government partners to strategically and effectively deliver results on a diverse range of SRH/GBV programs, including access CMR.
- Advise the clinic team on ensuring the implementation of SRH and GBV related activities, and appropriate referral mechanisms following guidelines and strategy, through the Health Services Quality Coordinator (HSQC).
- Support the med team, through the HSQC, to ensure smooth incorporation of SRH and GBV component with training and implementation / follow up of internal referral pathway;
- Ensure the quality of SRH and GBV activities through regular monitoring and technical support of clinic team, data collection and management, and provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Develop a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework for MdM SRH and GBV activities.
- Identify needs of trainings for all healthcare staff, with a focus on Midwives, on topics within the realm of Sexual and Reproductive Health (including obstetric emergencies; antenatal care; post-natal care; family planning, health promotion and clinical care for survivors of rape or sexual violence)
- Design and implement formal and Informal trainings to the Midwives to address SRH/GBV knowledge gaps and ensure the implementation of new knowledge learnt in the clinics’ everyday activities.
- Make sure that the midwives are trained to manage cases of Gender Based Violence with a focus on upholding a survivors’ rights to dignity and confidentiality.
- In close collaboration with other technical advisors, plan, implement and supervise SRH/GBV formal trainings for OTP Staff, nurses, Community Mobilisers, and others as needed.
- Work in close collaboration with other MdM technical advisors to implement trainings according to technical needs in each medical activity including SGBV (i.e. CMR training).
- Propose recommendations to medical clinic supervisors and in close concertation with medical and MHPSS team especially midwives, nurses, medical supervisors, community mobilisers, nutrition team and crowd controllers and registrars, to improve triage activities.
- In close collaboration with the Community Outreach Supervisor and the IEC Technical Advisors, define the sensitisation strategy and communication mediums (radio, press, posters, leaflets…) and organize trainings for community outreach supervisors and community mobilisers.
- Ensure appropriate treatment according to the protocols are followed in all MdM operational sites. This includes quality of medical care dispensed.
- Monitor the quality of the prescriptions given by the clinic doctors closely to ensure quality and accuracy, in collaboration with MdM medical team
- Ensure the dissemination and ownership of MdM procedures for management of pharmaceuticals in the field, including PEP kit, management and requests to UNFPA
- Provide direct care to patients when necessary
- Human resource, capacity building / training
- Supervise the SRH and GBV technical advisor deputy for the provision of on job technical support to clinic staff involved in the provision of SRH and GBV services in Damboa, Maiduguri and new operational sites.
- Identify the capacity building needs of MdM related to SRH as well as GBV.
- Organize and/or facilitate trainings on the response to SRH and GBV, in line with MdM training materials available.
Communication & advocacy
- Participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote MdM operational model for the response to SRH and GBV in humanitarian settings.
- Take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors to advocacy activities.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
- Reporting, information management, coordination / representation
- Make sure the SRH and GBV data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored
- Share to Health Services Quality Coordinator, Health Coordinator and Program Coordinator any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate to internal MdM meetings.
- Participate to the GBV sub cluster meetings (or other meetings related to SRH and protection) and actively contribute to coordination and common reporting efforts.
- =If needed, participate to meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in Nutrition.
- Contribute to MdM monthly sitrep.
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
- rnHierarchical & Functional links
- The SRH and GBV Technical Advisor is directly under the responsibility of the Health Services Quality Coordinator.
- S/he has technical links with the technical advisors under the Health Services Quality Coordinator, the Health Coordinator and Emergency Response Coordinator and Damboa medical team.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
- Midwife or a Nursing with Bachelor Degree or Medical doctor with SRH/GBV specialisation;
- Public Health certificate/training is an added value;
- At least 2 years of professional experience in relevant position;
- At least 1 previous experience with an I.NGO is required (with MDM is an asset)
- Ability to design and implement quality training;
- Relevant qualifications in Emergency SRH and development activities;
- Experience working with gender based violence survivors and knowledge of CMR protocols;
- Ability to create tools and monitoring process;
- Work experience in insecure environments is an advantage and/or knowledge of the cultural/social influences on SRH and GBV in North East Nigeria.
Required personal skills:
- Excellent organisational, training and coaching skills is required;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- Able to prioritize; Be flexible;
- Ability to work under stressful situation;
- Has a good team spirit;
- Able to work and live in specific security context.
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MdM’s work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
- This job description can be modified according to changes in MdM activities or in the context. It can be amended at any time after mutual consultation, in order to fit the requirements of the programs
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV in one single attachment via email to: [email protected] using the “Job Title and Location” as the subject of the mail.
- Job City Borno State