Médecins Sans Frontières, an international medical humanitarian association founded in 1971, provides medical assistance to populations whose lives are threatened: mainly in cases of armed conflict, but also epidemics, pandemics, natural disasters, or exclusion from care.
MSF WACA (West and Central Africa) was created in 2019 and aims to bring a change in the dynamics of the MSF movement. WACA is driven by doctors and humanitarians of MSF from West and Central Africa who wish to be heard, to contribute and above all to proactively assume responsibility for the humanitarian mission of the organization. WACA reflects an identity of humanitarians, an aspiration for MSF, a truly inclusive movement of people who share the values of empathy for others. Its strength is based on associative fiber is amplified by concrete operational objectives.
We Are Looking for: Staff Health Medical Doctor
Department: Medical Unit
Direct Manager: Deputy Medical Director
Working %: 100%
Based in: Abidjan
Mobility: depending on the needs
Type of Contract: Fixed Terms Contract until June 2023
Position to be filled: As soon as possible
- Ensure health prevention and care support for MSF WaCA staff (international and national)
- Lead the development and deployment of the staff health (including mental) support strategy.
- Contribute to the development of staff care policies and guidelines
- Links with MSF health insurance focal points, MSH International and other members of the human resources department.
Main responsibilities / Activities:
1) Support to international staff in the field
- Briefing for newly recruited mobile staff on how staff health is managed in the field
- Develop and implement a system of accessible and reliable pre-departure/annual checks for mobile staff (international & detached)
- Supporting mobile staff in case of specific healthcare needs
- Ensure that people with specific health conditions are well informed and safe about access to available healthcare and the level of risk taken when accepting a mission.
- Collaborate with MSF WaCA’s staff care psychologist in the management of specific cases. For the moment, the psychologist of the PSU -AO of Dakar is the one in charge of supporting WaCA staff.
2) Health management of field staff
- Participate in briefings and debriefings of all staff health managers in the field (medical coordinators, project medical referents, HR coordinators).
- Support for the development of staff health policies
- Support in the management of specific cases, with direct technical medical inputs or with external advice
- Participate in a night and weekend on-call system to ensure 24/7 availability for guidance and support in the management of medical emergencies and critical incidents for MSF WaCA staff in the field.
- Support medical evacuations and follow-up care of staff once out of mission
3) Staff health management at headquarters
- Responsible for briefings and debriefings for all staff at WaCA’s headquarters in Abidjan as well as visitors.
- Participates in the development of the health policy of the head office staff.
- Management of specific cases with referral in validated clinics and discussion with indicated specialists.
- Writing of a medical report for any complex case
4) Other tasks
- Support the collection, monitoring, analysis and reporting of all activities related to staff health.
- Contribute to the development and monitoring of the annual plan and budget of the WaCA care team (medical and HR departments)
- Contribute to the development and updating of guidelines, medical leaflets and training modules on health management in field missions and at headquarters
- Medical Doctor
- Experience with a humanitarian organization in a medical field and/or medical coordination position
Essential Skills :
- Commitment to MSF’s principles
- Intercultural awareness
- Behavioral flexibility
- Analytical thinking
- Strategic Vision
- Results-oriented and quality-oriented
- Initiative and innovation
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Ability to think out of the box
- Kindness and active listening
Professional experience required:
- Experience with MSF as Medical Coordinator is an added valued
- Extensive clinical experience – including in tropical medicine: At least 5 years.
French and English
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word), Outlook
Deadline: July, 07th 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Female Candidates are Highly encouraged to apply
NB : Candidates who have already appllied for this position no longer need to apply again
- Job City Abidjan