TERMS OF REFERENCE
CONSULTANCY SERVICES TO CARRY OUT A PARTICIPATORY EPIDEMIOLOGY TRAINING FOR VETERINARY STAFF IN SAMBURU COUNTY
ACTED is an international non-governmental organization that speaks in one voice to address the challenges of the 21st century with one vision: every human being must live in dignity. To this end, all ACTED teams act for immediate change in the lives of those in urgent need and co‐create possibilities and sustainable change by investing in people’s potential.
Through support from USAID-OFDA, ACTED is implementing the THRIVES (Towards Holistic Response and Recovery in Vulnerable Environments of Samburu) project which will respond to the extended dry season in Samburu with an emergency response component to address the immediate lifesaving needs of vulnerable populations. This will be layered with a drought recovery response building on ACTED and REACH’s activities towards understanding risk and developing self-reliance among communities. ACTED and REACH will work with communities to address the underlying causes of fragility to drought and cyclical climatic shocks through the introduction of climate smart agriculture, strengthening of livestock disease early warning systems, water, sanitation and hygiene support, and the development of county disaster response plans
The livestock sector component of the THRIVES project seeks to carry out participatory epidemiology capacity building sessions for county veterinary staff. Participatory epidemiology (PE) is the use of participatory approaches and methods to improve our understanding of the patterns of diseases in populations. In light of the aforementioned, ACTED requires the expertise of a specialized consultant/training firm to carry out the training for the targeted staff.
2. Objectives of the PE Consultancy.
· Explain key principles of participatory epidemiology (PE) target audience.
· Share information and knowledge that reflects change of attitude in diseases investigations using PE tools.
· Demonstrate correct use of and processes of conducting PE: Scoring, Ranking and visualization.
· Conduct a study with focus on various livestock diseases using PE methods.
· Document the learning process.
3. Products of the consultancy:
· Develop a training guide for Participatory Epidemiology to be used by the county staff.
· Review of the various livestock diseases and how PE can be applied in their investigations and control for the PE.
· Train 25 county staff identified by the director veterinary services
· A training report for the 2 cycles (Phase one 10 days and phase two 6 days).
· Learning material for the target audience.
4. ACTED responsibilities:
· Training facilities; venue, LCD projector, writing materials, will be availed by ACTED as necessary.
· Transportation and movement.
5. Required skills and Experience:
The consultant must demonstrate meeting the following minimum requirements.
· Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine, Public Health or any other livestock related qualification with proven experience participatory epidemiology.
· Certification as a trainer in Participatory Epidemiology (PENAPH certification preferred).
· Proven solid experience of disease surveillance work in the ASAL areas of Kenya.
· Previous and/or current experience in similar assignment with Government of Kenya and/or NGO preferred.
· Good knowledge and experience in community based initiatives.
· Excellent analytical, presentation and writing skills.
· Experience in qualitative data gathering and analysis.
· Ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams
6. Period of Assignment and Evaluation Approach
The firm/consultant is expected to be contracted within the month of November 2019. Upon award of the consultancy, the firm/consultant is expected to commence the training within a period of 5days. ACTED expects the selected firm/consultant to carry all the works including submission of the relevant reports within 20 days (Phase one 12 days training, and phase two 8 days training and reporting) effective the day of contract signing.
7. Requirements for the Consultancy:
The prospective bidders are required to submit preliminary proposals detailing the following:-
· A capability statement: The firm/consultant(s) to carry out this training should submit a profile detailing: experience relevant to the assignment and curriculum vitae of key personnel.
· Technical Proposal: Provide an understanding and interpretation of the proposed PE training, proposed methodology, tools and resource capability.
· A financial proposal: Include all proposed costs in Kenya Shillings (i.e. consultation fees).
· Work schedule/Training Outline: detailing timelines within which the training shall be carried out.
· Contacts of 3 Non –governmental organizations that have recently (but preferably within the last 3 years) contracted the firm/consultant(s) to carry out similar assignments.
8. How to apply.
The bidding document to be either dropped in the provided Tender box at ACTED Nairobi office Kalamu House, Grevillea Grove, off Brookside Drive, Westlands- Nairobi, Kenya OR via email address to: [email protected] on or before November 6th 2019 with a subject reading “CONSULTANCY SERVICES TO CARRY OUT A PARTICIPATORY EPIDEMIOLOGY TRAINING FOR VETERINARY STAFF IN SAMBURU COUNTY” Proposals received after this deadline will not be accepted. Short-listed firms / consultant (s) will be informed of the dates for a possible interview soon after the stated deadline.
The tender will be conducted using ACTED standard bidding documents, open to all qualified suppliers and service providers. The Bidding Documents (in English) may be collected free of charge by all interested bidders at the following address(es):
- ACTED representative office in Nairobi at Kalamu House, Grevillea Grove, off Brookside Drive, Westlands- Nairobi, Kenya
Or can also be downloaded by sending a requisition email to [email protected];
All bids must be submitted on OR before 6th November 2019 at 4:00pm at the address(es) mentioned above in a sealed envelope or by E-mail at [email protected], Cc [email protected]. Late Bids will be automatically rejected.
ACTED will not be responsible for any costs or expenses incurred by the Bidders in connection with the preparation and submission of their bids to ACTED.
A tender opening session will take place on 7th November 2019 at 10:00am in the ACTED representative office in Nairobi at Kalamu House, Grevillea Grove, off Brookside Drive, Westlands- Nairobi, and Kenya.The presence of bidders’ representative is allowed. For all inquiries regarding this tender, please contact the ACTED representative office in Nairobi not later than 5th November 2019 at 12:00pm by telephone (+ 254 707 380 000) or by E-mail at [email protected], Cc [email protected].
Note: if you witness or suspect any unlawful, improper or unethical act or business practices (such as soliciting, accepting or attempting to provide or accept any kickback) during the tendering process, please send an e-mail to [email protected].
- Job City Samburu