CARE International is a humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a particular focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities.
- Job Summary
The Team Leader – EAC funded Waxbar Caruurtaada has the overall responsibility for the day to day management of the grant. He/she will be based in Mogadishu and will report to the Programme Coordinator – Urban Youth Program. He/she will work closely with the Federal Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education(MOECHE) and Ministries of education in the five Federal states – Jubaland, Galmudug, Hirshabelle, South West and Puntland and other stakeholders to ensure the delivery of the EAC funded activities across the country. He/she will be responsible for budget management, reporting and supervision of the project team. He/she will work closely with the Manager of DFID funded LNGB project in south central Somalia to collate information and manage the overall reporting of the grant.
Roles & responsibilities
Result Area 1 –Project Delivery
The Team Leader EAC funded–Waxbar Caruurtaada II project will provide strategic leadership and direction for the project under the Urban Youth Program. He/she will work very closely with the Federal member states MOEs and the Initiative manager of the DFID funded LNGB and liaising with other key project stakeholders to deliver the project: –
· At the inception, develop working arrangements with MOECHE and Federal Member states MOEs and partners. This includes the defining of roles and responsibilities of implementing partners and the ministries of education at both levels;
· Manage the project team in the different locations; ensure that all activities progress as per plan and that all stakeholders and communities are fully involved in the implementation of the project;
· Collaborate with LNGB, GPE and GEEPS managers and ensure sharing of information and lessons learnt.
· Oversee all the infrastructure work in collaboration with the Project Engineer and other team members ensuring conflict sensitivity;
· Recruit consultants for baselines, mid-term and final evaluation ensuring quality work in collaboration with the team as well as oversee all school assessments and the selection of schools in collaboration with the MOECHE and Federal Member states MOEs.
· Work closely with the MEAL Manager -EAC as well as the CARE SOMALIA Head of MEAL to develop the M & E framework and track progress against indicators;
· Oversee community mobilization to enrol out- of- school children ensuring to meet the annual project targets across the five regions (Galmudug, Hirshabelle, South West, Jubaland and Puntland).
· Ensure that involvement of and capacity building of government is mainstreamed throughout the project
35% of time
Result Area 2 – Staff management
- Oversee and support field staff involved in the delivery of the project in the five regional states of Somalia including staff of local project partners –WARDI and GREDO. **
- Apply performance management systems to ensure consistent and strong performance within the team; **
- Identify capacity gaps and recommend opportunities to build the capacity of direct reports and other program staff to ensure implementation in line with CI principles and CARE policies; **
- In liaison with the Program Coordinator identify staff training/capacity building on areas of key focus (gender, governance, civil society, M&E, advocacy). **
20% of time
Result Area 3 – Contract management and compliance adherence
He/she will be responsible for achieving programme compliance with the organizational quality and accountability commitments. Task includes: **
- Manage grants in line with CARE and donor regulations, formats and requirements;
- Contribute to ensuring compliance to CARE and donor policies;
- Ensure progress against grant proposals/work plans;
- Review financial report, analyzing variances and initiating correction action in line with donor requirements;
- Ensure adequate financial management in liaison with the CARE Somalia Finance Department;
- In collaboration with the PC, Risk and Compliance Unit and the finance department facilitate timely audits and evaluations as required;
- Coordinate grant management with LNGB Grant Manager ensuring that the reporting and match obligations are met.
20% of time
Result Area 4 – Representation; Coordination and Stakeholder management:
He/she will ensure that CARE maintains excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders, especially beneficiaries, local authorities and the humanitarian community in the five regional states. Tasks include:
· Represent CARE in all Education Sector Coordination (ESC) meetings;
· Ensuring other staff are appropriately representing CARE at relevant forums/ meetings;
· Conducting regular stakeholder analysis to ensure that CARE has good understanding of dynamics/ relationships;
· Ensuring that all staff maintain beneficiaries and communities at the centre of CARE’s stakeholder list;
· Engaging in coordination processes amongst federal member states MOEs and key stakeholders and within the organization for greater impact within the programs.
15% of time
Result Area 5 – Staff safety and security.
The manager has a role in ensuring staff safety and security with technical support from the
Staff and Program Security Advisor and the Field Security Manager –south central Somalia. As such, s/he will be responsible for ensuring programs are delivered in a safe and secure manner. Key tasks include:
- Work to ensure that security management protocols and procedures are updated, made locally relevant and applied consistently;
- Work with the Security Advisor to ensure that risks to staff, beneficiaries and assets are mitigated through a deterrence, acceptance, protection and program-enabling lens.
- Ensure that the program is planned and implemented in a conflict sensitive manner
5% of time
Result Area 6: Any other duties as assigned by the program coordinator **
5% of time
- Required Qualifications (minimum requirements)
- Minimum degree in education or social scinences with significant relevant experience;
- At least 5 years experience working in Somalia; with prefered work experience in south central Somalia
- At least 3 years experience in a project or program management setting;
- Demonstrated experience in working with government in education projects;
- Demonstrated experience in program assessments, problem analysis and program design.
- Team player, who is able to develop strong collaborative relations across the organization, in both the program and program support departments;
- Good leadership and negotiating skills;
- Strong gender and conflict analysis skills, and the ability to articulate and design programs using a rights based approach;
- Proven budgeting and financial management skills;
- Strong M&E and reporting capacity
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and coach field staff;
- Ability to work and live under difficult conditions.
- Somali language skills are a requirement
- Decision Making Authority
Program design, program strategy, program approaches, fundraising, and development of partnerships.
Final decision making authority:
Day to day grant/project management, reporting, staff management, implementation
- Key Relationships
- Programme Coordinator.
Working closely with
- MEAL, Manager –EAC and Urban Youth program, Area Managers;
- Security Advisor (advisory role in program design and management from a security point of view);
- Head of MEAL (on M&E, partnership and other PQ issues)
- Finance Department (for budget preparation and financial management);
- Financial Risks & Grant Management Unit (grants to partners, compliance);
- Other program support departments (for logistics, procurement, HR issues etc);
- Federal Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education;
- Federal member states MOEs (Galmudug, Hirshabelle, South West, Jubaland and Puntland).
- Local NGO partners – WARDI and GREDO;
- UN agencies, international NGOs working in the same geographic areas/sectors;
- Clusters/working groups;
- Universities and research centers.
- Direct Reports
- MEAL Manager
- Senior Project Officers
- Other staff as needed
- Working Conditions
This is a posting in South Central Somalia with frequent travel to project sites depending on security conditions. Security situation in Somalia is currently calm. The climate is hot and dry.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in a one PDF document to [email protected] by referring the job title ”Team Leader ” as the subject line of the email, latest on Monday, 7th December 2020**.
all applications should be accompanied by a CV with a minimum of three traceable and recent references.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitation and abuses
- Job City Somalia