About the role
Approximately 18% of zero-dose children in Gavi supported countries live in conflict settings/areas. Conflict destabilises countries, disrupting essential infrastructure and resources needed to provide care and access to services.
Gavi is seeking to develop new partnerships to reach systematically missed communities and zero-dose children in fragile and conflict settings, affected by humanitarian crisis and who are not reached by routine immunisations systems with the full range of vaccines, as the first step towards integrated Primary Health Care (PHC) services.
The partnerships aim to contribute to the central goal of Gavi’s new 5.0 strategy – leaving no one behind – and focuses specifically on reaching the following two target groups across 12 Gavi eligible countries in the Horn of Africa and Sahel, due to the high number of zero-dose children residing in these regions because of prolonged humanitarian crisis, conflict, and displacement.
- Populations and displaced communities living in areas outside government control, in fragile & conflict settings and along borders/ or
- Mobile populations, including refugees, residing and moving across borders in areas not reached by governments
The Team Leader will oversee all aspects and activities under the project. S/he will lead a team consisting of technical and operational staff to deliver results aligned to the project work plan, targets and objectives. Crown Agents is seeking a highly qualified Team Leader/Senior Technical Manager to manage the project across the Horn of Africa.
- Provide over Leadership and Technical Guidance to the project: Ensure achievement of the program’s objectives, per the grants’ performance frameworks; developing strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the grants implementation in line with GAVI’s guidelines;
- Serve as a technical advisor to assigned activities, providing inputs and technical guidance, and management oversight
- Lead development of country workplans, designing activities that increase understanding of entrenches obstacles to immunisation coverages and equity, and actively addresses those obstacles
- Ensure high quality technical leadership and oversight is in place for the programme.
- Ensure that program teams, including sub-recipients, are familiar with program design and targets agreed to in the performance framework
- Oversee technical assistance and training efforts to build the capacity of government systems in service delivery, human resource, financial, procurement supply chain, and programme management;
- Manage, mentor and provide guidance to all project staff in country to ensure program targets are met;
- Establish, build, and nurture effective teamwork within the team and ensure a cohesive workplace environment for optimum staff retention and motivation
- Identify gaps in the standards of delivery of the programs by partners through a robust monitoring process
- Document implementation successes, challenges, and lessons learned and share them with all relevant stakeholders
- Track and evaluate key interventions, to assist in lessons for sharing, building an evidence base of operational research, and M&E approaches
- Assume overall responsibility for the security and safety of all staff and partners and ensure duty of care for staff and partners.
- Other duties as assigned
Location – Either London, Nairobi or Addis
Qualification and Experience:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience
- Advanced university degree in public health, medicine, health economics, international development or related field;
- Clinical background desirable (medical doctor, clinical officer, nurse or related)
- Proven ability to assess routine immunization needs and to develop and implement successful program interventions, including prior experience with: 1) national or sub-national immunization planning; 2) capacity building for system strengthening; 3) design of community-oriented strategies to increase coverage, equity, and sustainability; 4) use of immunization data for monitoring and decision making; 5) assessment of cold chain and logistics performance and needs; and, 6) other actions to sustain quality immunization services.
- Preferred experience working in Fragile and Conflict Affected States
- Strong background and experience delivering immunisation programmes
- Demonstrated experience working with the GAVI
- Proven successful experience in financial and grants management, including grant management, and budget and procurement control
- Demonstrated success and understanding in working across cultural differences and the political and ethical issues surrounding public health issues among key populations
- Demonstrated ability to develop, lead, and mobilize a team of direct and indirect reports
You’ll be working with Crown Agents which is a high impact social enterprise passionate about transforming the future for millions of people. Since our creation in 1833 we have worked across the globe to improve public services and drive economic growth. Our expertise is finding new solutions to difficult problems for clients in the areas of health, governance, economic growth, humanitarian action and supply chain services. We work with and train leaders at local, national and international level to achieve lasting change drawing on our insight and experience.
Crown Agents is committed to diversity and will promote diversity for all candidates at all times as well as a business culture that reflects that belief. Crown Agents will treat everyone equally irrespective of race, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin, disability or sexual orientation, and places an obligation upon all staff to respect and act in accordance with the policy. Crown Agents shall not discriminate unlawfully when deciding which candidates are selected for interview, or in any terms of employment, and will ensure that each candidate is assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the role. Crown Agents is committed to being an organisation enhanced by diversity and encourages applications from anyone who shares our values and commitment to improving the lives of communities affected by poverty or conflict.
About what’s on offer
Crown Agents offers a competitive benefits package.
- Job City Ethiopia, Kenya