The Technical Advisor, Governance provides leadership and project oversight to governance programming in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, and Philippines such as health and education systems strengthening, peacebuilding, social accountability, civil society strengthening, and city government technical assistance.
Join the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in this role if you would like to support Asia-based staff in person or remotely to craft, implement and evaluate projects that bring to life our mission! Do you also want to influence, advocate, support research and internal initiatives? If so, come and join a small, dedicated, tolerant and inclusive team of governance advisors!
The Governance Unit supports IRC country programs in crafting and implementing programs that amplify the voice of people whose lives have been impacted by conflict and crisis. Governance programs help them regain control of their future by championing their right to influence the issues affecting their cities, towns, and communities.
To achieve this, we
- Strengthen the ability of people to have a voice in decisions that affect their communities
- Enable governments, civil society organizations, community representatives, and the IRC to respond to their voices and provide effective and inclusive services, and
- Promote constructive communication between leaders and the people they represent so that actions are meaningful and lasting.
Guiding program design:
- Support country-based staff to craft/design programs and projects, ensuring that they are:
- Aligned with the IRC’s Global Strategy, which includes supporting country-based staff with contextualizing outcomes and selecting interventions based on the best available evidence and the local context;
- Adaptable to people’s needs and preferences;
- Based on sound context and gender analysis
- Help define approach to teaming / partnering with other organizations
- Support selection of indicators for country programs
Engaging in business development:
- Review technical quality of proposals, including review of technical activities and ensuring alignment to IRC’s outcomes
- Input into go / no go decisions on proposals
- When vital, write technical narratives of proposals
- Provide input on budgets required for project delivery
Strengthening technical capacity of colleagues to ensure ongoing program quality and innovation:
- Work with colleagues to help analyze project data that inform periodic review and course correction as needed
- Share cross-context learning with colleagues across the region
- Conduct technical training and mentor colleagues, including on IRC outcomes, theories of change, evidence, and indicators
- Review and share program-specific tools, resources, curricula and work with Technical Unit specialists to adapt materials
- Support senior country-based staff recruitment and onboarding
- Cooperate with the Regional Gender, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Director and other GEDI team members to provide coordinated support to country-based colleagues
- Support country-based colleagues during project start-up and implementation of governance related activities through technical support visits and regular remote technical backstop support.
- Orient and strengthen capacity of program staff in integrating governance in project design of all areas.
- Help conduct governance related analysis at country level
Influence the IRC, peer agencies and donors to use validated interventions and generate evidence
- Present IRC research findings across contexts and relevant conferences
- Representation with policy makers, donors, and peers on peacebuilding
Strengthen the measurement of core governance interventions
- Be responsible for and handle the annual statistics process for the unit
- Develop and refine the governance core indicator list and tools
- Own the development, piloting, and roll-out of measurement toolkits in close collaborate with other technical units
- Build capacity of peers to provide high quality measurement support
- A proven track record in crafting/designing, implementing and/or leading governance interventions, is required, preferably within a humanitarian and international development setting (at least seven years).
- A proven record of working in developing, fragile and conflict settings, preferably in Asia (at least five years)
- Applied experience of governance work in health, education or other basic services (required)
- Prior experience providing technical advisory support to country programs, in person and remotely (required)
- A confirmed business development record winning and leading opportunities (required)
- Experience in strategy development and working across sectors or subject areas (highly desired)
Confirmed Skills and Proficiencies
- Strong analytical, presentation, organizational and critical thinking skills combined with the ability to contextualize and adapt to different situations and contexts.
- Confirmed expertise in program design, monitoring, and evaluation
- Ability to turn concepts and strategy into impactful action plan
- Must be a great teammate player who prioritizes building strong collaborative relationships across geographies and functional areas, and with a track record of collaborating across subject areas, cultures, and contexts while being mindful of power dynamics and systemic inequalities
- A consistent record on training and facilitation skills and participatory methodologies using a consciously decolonized approach to capacity-building
- Familiarities with intersectional and postcolonial feminist theories
- Strong communication skills
- Master’s/post-graduate degree in public administration, development economics, conflict management, public policy, political science, international development, or another relevant field.
- Proficiency in English required and at least one other language.
Preferred experience & skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, in English, as well as an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; consistent record to prioritize and deliver on time.
- Critical thinking with high level of analytical and negotiation skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional distributed team structure.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with collaborators at all levels.
- Ability to handle and work through change in an initiative-taking and positive manner.
- Standard office working environment
- Some international travel as needed up to 40%
- This role may require working remotely full or part time and part time remote employees may be required to share workspace.
____________________________________________________________________________Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, l’Égalité et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
- Job City Kenya