Job Title: Technical Advisor II- Regional Security Risk Manager
Job Location: West Africa or telecommuting
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Reports to: Deputy Regional Director MQ- WARO
As a member of the Global Security Unit the Regional Security Risk Manager (RSRM) supports the work of the Regional Director and regional Country Programs. You will plan, direct, implement, and monitor the effectiveness of safety and security risk management policies, procedures, and operations to ensure the continuity, safety and security of CRS staff, facilities, activities, , equipment, information, partners and program participants. Working closely with the Regional Team and country leadership, the RSRM will provide management support and technical safety and security risk management solutions in strategic planning, program design, monitoring & evaluation systems, and staff training. The contexts of Security Risk Management range from emergency to development and the duration of interventions is from the design stage of a project or country program through evaluation and closure.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
* Define, plan and oversee implementation of security risk management systems for the protection of CRS staff, partners, visitors, program participants, facilities, assets and information for individual activities and operations across multiple sectors within the Region
* Serve as the key liaison for all security stakeholder interaction to ensure the successful completion of program deliverables to the donor as needed
* Mentor country-based security staff to build their security risk management capacities and guide their prioritizing of activities to meet program activity goals in compliance with CRS safety and security policies
* Routinely examine the CRS regional security risk management framework and ensure formal assessments of all regional program sites and activities are up to date and effective
* Assist country programs in aligning safety and security plans and systems with current and future program design in close collaboration with the Regional team
Safety and Security Risk Management
* Guide Regional Director (RD) and Management Quality (DRD-MQ) on security management decisions, procedures, policies, and practices, including the management of critical incidents and crisis level situations
* Develop and cultivate sources and networks relevant to the needs of CRS in the region to support both day to day security risk management activities as well as manage in times of crisis
* Provide regular updates and analysis around safety and security trends in the region. Share relevant products with regional and Country programs senior management and the Global Security Unit
* Review, improve and adjust regional staff tracking, incident reporting, and incident management processes as necessary and monitor staff compliance
* Stay up to date with international trends and developments in the region, monitor current events, political decisions, and legislative changes and articulate their potential impact on CRS
* Investigate and forecast emerging threats with country teams to aid in proactive planning and response strategies
* Manage complex security improvement programs across the region
* Carry out regular threat, vulnerability, and security risk assessments and amend working procedures accordingly
Organizational & Systems Development and Staff Capacity Strengthening
* Effectively implement CRS’ safety and security risk management policy requirements in the Region
* Assist Country Programs in defining roles and responsibilities for safety and security management, optimizing organizational/departmental efficiency, performance, and accountability
* Support Country Programs in the recruitment and development of staff involved in safety and security management
* In coordination with the DRD-MQ and RD, monitor mitigation of risks as reported in the annual risk disclosure reports; plan for and manage situations that involve staff safety and security, fraud, safeguarding, etc.
* Cultivate and lead the regional community of practice for security focal points and other interested parties to encourage learning and implementation of best practices in security risk management
* Collaborate and coordinate with HQ departments on systems and approaches to drive effectiveness, efficiency, and accountability
* Facilitate the achievement of strategic objectives related to managing Information, Communication and Technology 4 Development (ICT4D) as they relate to security. Ensure that technological changes and new trends supported by the agency are integrated into the safety and security management culture
* Bachelor’s degree required (graduate degree preferred) in security management, politics, international development, non-profit management, or related field, or equivalent work experience
* Minimum of 7 years work experience in security management with 5 years in an international humanitarian organization, UN, or related international development organization
* Demonstrated experience of successful security program management across multiple countries, including concurrent management of complex, high and low-value, multi-activity projects, with complicated logistics
* Formal technical training(s) or professional certifications in security risk management is a plus
Required Languages – Fluency in English and high level of French required.
Travel – Approximately 35% of the time, primarily to/within the region, and sometimes in remote areas with minimal amenities available including emergency response. Often with short notice.
Supervisory Responsibilities: No line management
Key Working Relationships:
* Internal: Regional Director, Deputy Regional Director(s), Regional Technical Advisors, Country Representatives, Heads of Operations, Heads of Programs, Security Focal Points, Country Security Managers and Officers, peer RSRMs, and the global security team. HQ departments such as GKIM, HR, GSCM, Internal Audit, Ethics Unit, GRC, OGC, RMSS and HRD.
* External: International and local partners, donors, relevant embassy security staff, contracted security service providers, NGO security organizations, and security staff of other NGOs and UN Agencies operating in the region.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
- Job City Accra