JOB TITLE: Technical Director: Community HIV Prevention, Testing and Treatment
PROJECT: Comprehensive High Impact Community Based HIV Prevention, Testing and Treatment Initiation for Sustained Epidemic Control in Lesotho under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)
BASED IN: Lesotho (Lesotho Citizens and Lawful Residence Preferred)
REPORTS TO: Principal Investigator/Country Director
PSI anticipates being awarded a multi-year agreement as a prime to a five-year, Center for Disease Control (CDC) project intended to support implementation of a comprehensive public health response to new HIV infections for sustained epidemic control in Lesotho. The program will engage in comprehensive and evidence-based community HIV prevention, testing and treatment initiation as well as building capacity of local organizations, civil society organizations and community systems in implementing data-driven programming.
PSI seeks candidates for a project Technical Director, to provide strategic vision, technical expertise, guidance, and clinical management support for this Project. The Technial Director will lead the expansion and scale-up of community HIV prevention, testing and services, and treatment initiation for priority populations including youth, men, migrant and factory workers and other hard to reach populations. The Technical Director will provide vision and strategy to ensure high quality implementation of DREAMS services targeting AGYW with risk communication, HIV testing, SRH services and linkages to socio-economic strengthening. The Technical Director will develop and maintain excellent relationships with government leaders, donors, and other external stakeholders to ensure optimal coordination and strong partnerships. This Regular Full-Time position is based in Maseru, Lesotho and reports to the Principal Investigator. *This position is contingent upon funding. Lesotho nationals are strongly encouraged to apply .
- Overall Technical HIV and TB Lead for the Project Implementation
- With the Principal Investigator (PI), other Project staff, CDC and representatives of local government, design, test and implement new, innovative, client centered and sustainable models for extending community based HIV testing, HIV prevention, HIV and TB care and treatment services closer to the target populations.
- Representation of PSI Lesotho as Technical Director to MOH, WHO, Donor, Partners and other organisations in Lesotho and internationally.
- Identify approapriate HTS prevention and linkage strategies at all service levels (community to facility, facility to community, between districts) to address and close the prevention and linkage loop towards effective and comprehensive service delivery.
- Identify training needs and assist in the design and implementation of measures to address those needs.
- Capacitate program staff with up to date knowledge and innovative community models and based on current best practices on HTS, develop and adapt existing evidence based systems to support translation of evidence into practice.
- Lead development of project strategiec plan, workplan and close monitoring of the project in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, CDC and other implementing partners.
- Provide quality assurance to HIV prevention (including PrEP) treatment programs through training, mentorship, technical support and capacity building;
- Ensure that project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of the target population;
- Ensure that program tracking occurs on a daily basis, with analysis of effectiveness and ongoing program improvements for increased HTS yield, linkage to care, adherence to treatment and retention in care;
- Representation at national and regional technical work groups, including, but not limited to HIV prevention, HTS and ART;
- Deliver recommendations on technical assistance and systems strengthening to enhance program effectiveness and sustainability;
- Manage and oversee training, capacity building, quality assurance, mentoring and supervision for regional, fixed, and mobile teams;
- Guide the development or refinement of materials related to HIV care and treatment, including clinical guidelines, protocols, algorithms, drug formularies, training materials, and monitoring and evaluation tools;
- Ensure that activities conform to Lesotho’s national guidelines and PSI standards;
- Ensure that program activities reflect best practices, including PEPFAR, UNAIDS, and World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with host country government, local organizations, community based organisations, community leaders and private sector stakeholders;
- Support the PI to ensure that technical lessons are incorporated into monitoring, evaluation, and strategic development;
- Contribute to knowledge management efforts and lesson sharing;
- Participate in development of quarterly and annual plans and activity reports; and
- Actively participate in targeted program evaluation.**Qualifications**
- Advanced Degree (ie Medical degree, MPH, or other related advanced degree) ideally with a specialization in HIV or infectious disease.
- 10+ years of experience managing HIV prevention, care and treatment programs, including planning, designing, implementing, mentoring, and evaluating and documenting results (experience with DREAMS programming strongly preferred)
- Advanced technical and programmatic knowledge and experience in HIV testing and linkage to care, HIV treatment, TB, clinical laboratory support, routine viral load testing, HIV clinical monitoring systems, and health system strengthening.
- Experience training health workers on HTS (i.e HIV Self – testing, index, PrEP and SRH and DREAMS)
- Proven capabilities in capacity building and experience in working effectively with community, district, and national government authorities
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with a variety of audiences and organizations, in particular, Ministry of Health and clinical partners;
- Previous experience working in Lesotho, with an understanding of the local health system and HIV challenges and opportunities, and solid relationships at relevant government agencies;
- Track record of strong leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills; and
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills in English
- Job City Maseru