Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
The Technical Officer (Health & Nutrition Services) will provide technical and programmatic support to implement high quality care and support activities with primary focus on clinical management of integrated medical services at the LGA level.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide day to day technical and programmatic support related nutritional and integrated medical services at the facility level guided by strategies and approaches related to the implementation programs.
- Contribute to the development of lessons learned from programs and projects related to nutritional and integrated medical services and apply these lessons to modify existing programs and improve the design of new programs.
- Assist in strengthening a system of reporting on program progress against stated objectives and monitoring and evaluation frameworks.
- Contribute to the development of program strategies, subproject documents and work plans.
- Sensitize main stakeholders on CMAM and need for support and commitment for long term access to life saving activities for children; at this stage the overall entry/exit strategy can be shared emphasizing the vital role of the stakeholders to make this happen
- Works closely with assigned team to ensure activities are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Build capacity of Community Health Workers (CHWs) through organized trainings.
- Serve as organization liaison at coordinated external meetings and conferences if assigned.
- Plan and deliver trainings with support capacity building team on CMAM and IYCF
- Develop work plan for OTP, Stabilization Centre and IYCF activities according to the expected progress of the project
- Remain informed on current programs in the field of medical and nutritional management and related developments by assessing the needs of current IDPs and staying alert to any implication of such experience and research to the project implementation
Network and coordinate with the relevant sectors:
Establish good relationship with the Local Government Area authorities and community leaders. Establish a network with the other actors in the working area (I/NGO) Establish a good understanding of the program within the community Establish link and meetings with the community leaders and different group existing in the working area. Coordination and participation in Nutrition Cluster, and nutrition assessment/ survey groups and filing of meeting minutes Support, and actively participate the sub-Nutrition Cluster group meetings at district level constructively Represent FHI 360 nutrition programs when and if necessary vis-a-vis donors during their field visits
Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and nutrition in humanitarian programs.
- Clinical management and training experience and ability to understand full range of issues around integrated health program.
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical setting, including government and non-government settings.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues in the communities
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English and Hausa communications
- Ability to work in an environment where there are physical discomforts associated with change in weather or discomforts associated with noise, dust or dirt.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to facility
- Ability and willingness to stay at Local Government Area (LGA) at the field
- Well-developed computer skills.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- MB.BS/MD/PHD or similar degree with 1 to 3 years relevant experience in clinical care with a sound understanding of humanitarian integrated health program delivery in resource constrained settings.
- Possession of an MPH or post graduate degree in a related field is required.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public health sector systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
- Job City Damasak, Nigeria