Position Title: Temporary Translator (Somali-Swahili-English)
This rapid qualitative research will be conducted by a team of four people over a period of two weeks. Field work will be led by FHI 360 staff, working closely with one local research lead and two qualitative Data Collectors. This scope of work is for an Interpreter position, which will support the project lead by discreetly interpreting from Somali to English or Swahili to English, as appropriate, during IDIs and FGDs. We require the Data Collector to be physically present during data collection events
- Attends one-day project training to become familiar with the concepts and questions to be covered during the data collection activities
- Conducts live interpretation to English of two-way discussion between a research interviewer and participant(s); source language may be Somali or Kiswahili
- Accurately translates discussion and answers clarifying questions
- Maintains participant confidentiality and security of data gathered
- The position can entail long periods of sitting, standing and/or walking.
- Field schedules vary from day to day according to the data collection events scheduled. Schedule will be available at least one day in advance.
Education and Experience:
- BS/BA in relevant field and 1-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience interpreting for health topics (e.g., infectious disease, vaccination programs, and/or mass drug administration) is preferred
- Demonstrated experience performing live interpretation from Somali and Swahili to English
- Fluent in Kiswahili, English, and Somali
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including ability to adapt to changing situations and group dynamics.
- Project-based research ethics training
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
- Job City Nairobi, Kenya