Tender for Quality Consultant for avocado and sesame processing
GIZ- consultancy Announcement
Bid Reference Number 83355839
The STA (Strategic Alliance) “Building an Avocado and Sesame Value Chain in Ethiopia” project is a public-private partnership project that is jointly implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ) and the Dutch company Tradin Organic, a pioneer in organic food trade. The objective of the project is to develop the sesame and avocado value chain in Ethiopia following organic standards and quality. Implementation takes place in SNNPR (Sidama) and Tigray (Humera) with Tradin’s local sister companies Sunvado and Selet Hulling. STA works on five output levels and seeks to improve collecting and processing methods for avocado and sesame and income of farmers, facilitate organic and social certification, and establish a local infrastructure for oil production. The STA project also works together with TVET colleges. Currently the STA project seeks to hire an expert for quality management to train local quality teams ensure high-standard organic food products.
Duration of assignment and working conditions
This is a part-time job (at least 2,5 working days per week) and contract will be from June 2020 to April 30, 2021
Level of effort and Location
The position will be based at Tradin’s local sister company Sunvado in Hawassa and includes travels to the Selet Hulling processing facility in Legatafo
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Detailed evaluation of the status quo in relation to product quality aspects (sesame and avocado oil)
- Detailed overview of local bureaucracy and their effects on the organization related to product quality. Which local agencies are involved and how do they affect the quality of the process, the logistics and the product?
- Collect data on the local conditions such as the local climate, cooperatives and seasonal influences
- Assessment of training needs and train and professionalize local teams at factories
- Visit project sites in Ethiopia and conduct interviews with relevant stakeholders to assess training need s, conduct interviews with key people from resource, logistics, production and the international quality office.
- Advise on oil quality parameters and belonging laboratory analyses and industrial validation of these analyses. Act as a problem solver for technological challenges during the startup of the process
- Establish a quality management system in line with international standards ready for certification
- Hold at least 2 presentations at relevant TVETS and organize practical excursions to the factories for TVET students/graduates and lecturers, at least 50 students and 4 lecturers from 2 TVETS benefit from practical learnings and exposure
- Supervise the TVET students/lecturers during practical trainings at the factories
Interested bidders who fulfill the following criteria can obtain the bid document via email starting from Monday, 25th of May 2020, 8:30am on working hours using the email address [email protected]
- BSc or MSc degree in food technology or related field from an internationally recognized University
- Efficiency in English, Dutch is an asset
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience as a Quality Manager in an international food processing company or related field, preferably in fatty/oily products
- Good knowledge of international food standards (GFSI). Experience in coordination and setting up of quality-related processes. Experience in project-based work. Experience in and affinity with troubleshooting and ad-hoc support. Ability to effectively report and share information
- Strong skills and focus on training and development of the team. Able and experienced to ‘lead by example’. Hands-on mentality. Proven experience in technical area. Strong leadership skills and quality and supply chain focused
- Regional experience: Europe and Ethiopia or similar context
- Excellent computer skills in Excel or other similar systems
How to Apply
All bids must be delivered/submitted physically to the address below at or before 4:00pm local time on Friday, 5th of June 2020.
Bidders should submit their Technical and Financial Proposals as per the issued tender document.
GIZ – STA-DPP Project reserves the right to cancel the bid fully or partially.
The address to submit your Technical and Financial Offers is:
German Development Cooperation
GIZ Office, Kirkos Sub City, Kebele 18 (Behind Intercontinental Hotel)
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Job City SNNPR