For nearly 50 years, AKF has been partnering with communities, governments and local leaders to harness the best from people from all backgrounds to improve the quality of life. The Foundation’s work is rooted in core values of self-reliance, pluralism, and respect for human dignity. AKF is a member of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), one of the world’s leading poverty solutions networks. The AKDN’s integrated approach makes long-term investments, builds permanent institutions and cultivates an active civil society, impacting tens of millions of people annually in 30 countries. Alongside its sister AKDN agencies, the Foundation implements innovative, community-driven solutions that are based in decades of experience, learning and evaluation.
The USAID and AKF co-financed the Yetu Initiative since 2014, contributing to the self-reliance of Kenyan civil society by building the capacity of Kenyan civil society organizations (CSOs) to engage and catalyze citizen support for their missions. USAID and AKF are both looking to further expand and support civil society in Kenya, through the Kaunti Kuimarisha Uendelevu – Strengthening County Sustainability – Annual Program Statement (APS). The goal of Yetu extension is to “Enhance capacity of Kenyan civil society to catalyze and engage citizen, government and private sector support for county-level development”. Yetu will strengthen the role and capacity of county-wide Local Development Organizations (LDOs) existing local Kenyan entities, and local governments to foster ownership, locally-led development and implementation of sustainable development programs. Yetu will also build the capacity of LDOs and county-level CSOs in community philanthropy to build assets, capacity, and trust in addressing local development and sustainability of local civil society.
The Yetu initiative seeks services from Kenya-based consultants to provide organizational strengthening technical assistance to the county based local development organizations (LDOs) to strengthen locally led sustainable development priorities.
Yetu is seeking to build a pool of local consultants (both individuals and consultancy firms), who will be screened and preapproved to deliver the services in a range of geographies within Kenya. Respondents are not required to demonstrate coverage across all geographies; rather, more localized consultants with specific geographic expertise and language skills are welcome to respond. Pre-qualified applicants that are pre-selected will undergo an approval process and be included in a database to be considered for engagement on relevant consulting assignments. Note that, there will be additional process before any work is awarded to the consultants.
The following are the potential technical and functional areas:
· Organizational development and change management
· Community Engagement
· Strategic Communication
· Knowledge management
· Resource mobilization
· Sustainability models such as social enterprise, Membership, endowments, payment for results, social bonds
· Monitoring evaluation learning and reporting methodologies such as outcome harvesting, most significant change, collaborative learning and adaptation
· Gender and youth engagement
EXPECTED RESULTS (OUTPUTS)
The expected results from this consultancy is to enhance LDOs capacities and performance to be effective in their mandate.
PROCESS/TASKS/SCOPE OF SERVICES
The consultant will need to undertake the following tasks in order to achieve the above-mentioned objectives:
- Review various LDOs documents to design a appropriate methodology that is aligned to the its strategic priorities.
- Develop a methodology of undertaking the assignment for review and approval by AKF.
- Provide the technical assistance as agreed by both the LDO and AKF.
- Prepare a report of the technical assistance provided.
The above tasks are illustrative and the consultant will be expected to build on these as needed in order to ensure the assignment is completed to the expected standards. He/she is encouraged to consult regularly with AKF for any clarification or assistance to further inform the products from this assignment.
SUPERVISION AND QUALITY ASSURANCE
The Consultant will be supervised by Yetu Program Director.
PERIOD OF CONSULTANCY
Each consultancy awarded will be expected to take a total of ten days per county, however, this may vary based on the needs.
assurance of confidentiality
All deliberations relating to this consultancy, including all information collected from various meetings/documents shall be kept confidential and shall not be divulged to any third party either verbally or in writing or in any other form.
APPLICANT SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
The Consultant should have the following educational qualifications, skills and experience:
- A minimum of 8 years’ consultancy experience in the respective area of expertise.
- Experience in working with civil society, government and non-governmental institutions.
- Experience in mentoring nascent organizations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent facilitation and training skills.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Excellent oral presentation skills.
- Preferred Requirements: Kenyan nationals highly preferred. Fluent Kiswahili highly desired. Professional training in the respective area of expertise is an advantage
lOGISTICS AND PROCEDURES
The Consultant will be responsible for covering his/her transport costs for any travel required to meet with AKF staff within Nairobi. If the consultant requires office space from where to work, the same can be arranged with AKF to allocate space. AKF will support with printing and communication (email, telephone, and fax) costs where these arise during the assignment.
Submit the following documents with their expression of interest for this consultancy:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Signed Bio-data form
- Copy of the most recent consultancy contract
- At least three references (could be included in the CV)
- Proposed plan to perform the consultancy’s assignment (This should include activities, methodologies and time frame)
How to apply:
CONTACTS FOR SUBMISSION AND DUE DATE
Submit the EOI to [email protected] by 12:00pm on Monday 3rd February 2020, with ‘Organizational Strengthening Consultancy – YETU Initiative’ in the subject line
- Job City Nairobi