Full Description of Assignment: http://bit.ly/36oJh0D
Description of task
The UN Volunteer will be working in the Communication Division. The UN Volunteer will be assigned a portfolio consisting of UNEP projects and programmes, managed from other Divisions within UNEP, including the Chemicals, Waste and Air Quality and Resource Efficiency subprogrammes. Under the direct supervision of Head of Planning, Information, Monitoring and Evaluation, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Act as the Communication Division’s first point of contact for your portfolio. Develop a trusted advisor relationship for their communication requests and needs.
- Liaise between colleagues and Communication Division teams to respond to client requests and identify communication services and solutions according to identified needs.
- Ensure the timely and successful delivery of communication services, including monitoring of budgets.
- Communicate clearly the progress and key metrics of monthly/quarterly initiatives to stakeholders within the Division and in the wider organization.
- Have an in-depth understanding of the work and activities of your portfolio and the broader scope of the Organization’s work.
- Identify and promote key events, publication launches and other communication opportunities in your portfolio. Ensure Communication Division teams are alerted and respond appropriately.
- Ensure that communication is captured in the programmes, projects and budget allocations of your portfolio.
- Prepare periodic internal and donor reports as required.
- Assist the Deputy Director to ensure key internal processes are adhered to and reporting obligations are met.
- Other tasks will be assigned as required
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in the field of journalism, marketing, communication, project management, social sciences or related field is required.
Required experience: 24 Months
- At least two years’ professional work experience at the national and/or international level in communication, environment, or programme management, or other relevant programmes; experience working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in communication and environmental issues, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Other communications related experience, Development programme management
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
How to apply:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
- Job City Nairobi