You will be required to produce a current (within 3 months) Original Police Clearance Certificate or waiting receipt during interview in case you are shortlisted
Job Title : WASH and Construction Advisor
Reporting to : WASH Technical Manager
Grade Level : 16
Work Location : Nairobi
Purpose of position
Ensure effective technical leadership and proper coordination of design & construction works of WASH and non-WASH infrastructure, proper implementation and monitoring of WASH activities in Kenya that is acceptable and comply to regulation, offer quality assurance and risk management for high quality projects that meet recognized standards, mentoring and building the capacity of WASH technical colleagues & full participation in proposal writing towards catalyzing, full attainment of child wellbeing aspirations. This role will contribute to increasing Water & sanitation coverage and hygiene promotion, and proper infrastructure development in efforts towards achieving SDG 6: to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
Technical Leadership, Coordination and Implementation (45%)
- Provide overall technical leadership to all World Vision Kenya WASH & Construction and ground Water Development.
- Preparation of Feasibility Studies, Preliminary and Detailed Design as well as Design Reviews for water and sanitation infrastructures (intakes, boreholes, pumping stations, reservoirs, water distribution networks, treatment plants) and structural work.
- Preparation of tender Documents, BOQs, Specifications and Conditions of Contracts in line with FIDIC contracts and World Vision WASH Business guidelines
- Support in the registration of all World Vision Kenya WASH projects with NCA as required and ensure full handover of the project to relevant stakeholders when completed.
- Provide innovative and technical support for effective implementation of all WASH grant/sponsorship projects and Construction.
- Ensure that business processes related to initiatives developed in coordination with other National Office (NO) WASH team are adhered to by the relevant APs or project areas.
- Support the implementation of approved Rural water management guidelines for improved governance and sustainability of World Vision Kenya WASH projects.
- Provide technical leadership in water resource mapping, environmental protection and conservation through water shed management, reforestation and other best practices.
- Coordinate in the development, approval and implementation of water safety plans and disaster risk management plans for all the water supply projects.
- Ensure that WASH business processes, standards and guidelines related to WASH and Construction initiatives are effectively applied in project implementation.
- Support development of technically sound funding proposals through provision of information & data and review in collaboration with ADP Managers and other sector specialists.
- Facilitates, coordinate and support the GIS processes & strategies and the continuous use of the mWater platform by field level WASH staff.
Project Effectiveness, reporting and Budget Utilization (35%)
- Oversee quality and effectiveness of WASH project activities as per the design and guidelines in full compliance with GOK, WHO, SPHERE, WASREB and other relevant partnership and international standards and guidelines;
- Ensure relevant projects meet or exceed planned outcomes and targets
- Ensure appropriate monitoring tools are developed, reviewed, approved and disseminated to all WASH colleagues for implementation
- Conduct frequent field monitoring visits to APs implementing the relevant projects and facilitation of visiting delegations/donors
- Monitor effective and efficient utilization of all WASH & construction budgets
- Work closely with WASH regional coordinators and AP/project team leads to implement response plans regarding all financial and operational audit findings of the projects initiatives, and take the needed measures to prevent such findings from recurring in the future.
- Participate in enterprise risk management activities for all the WASH activities in the AP’s and implement improvement action plans required.
- In liaison with the DMEAL and NO WASH team, develop TOR and other tools for grant projects monitoring and evaluations as required.
- Review and consolidate monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual, and end of projects reports and ensure that the reports are prepared in a timely manner and in accordance with donors and World Vision Kenya requirements/strategy.
- Document and disseminate lessons learnt and best practices on completed initiatives and projects.
- Facilitate regular WASH & Construction progress meetings in consultation with Regional WASH coordinators.
- Ensure proper acquisition, handling and maintenance of all WASH related assets by designated staff at all times.
Advocacy, Engagement and Partnership (15%)
- Foster linkage with relevant partners and support offices
- Collaborate with Ministry of Water, NCA, WASREB, EBK, KETREB and other relevant departments in providing technical support and assistance to the World Vision Kenya WASH projects
- Represent World Vision Kenya in strategic WASH and Construction stakeholder forums/meetings at Global, National and County level.
- Support implementing staff to successfully engage with key internal and external stakeholders, including other World Vision Kenya entities, Community, church and other civil society representatives in order to maximize the impact of interventions
- In collaboration with Resource Acquisition and Management (RAM) participate in appropriate donor engagement activities
- Support timely development of funding proposals in line with donor requirements and World Vision Kenya standards in collaboration with Area Program leadership, other NO WASH team members and RAM.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor or designee from time to time
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering/Water Engineering. Master’s degree in a relevant field as an added advantage
- Must Be a registered Graduate with EBK/KETREB or professional Engineer with EBK.
- Minimum 7 years’ overall experience in Engineering project design, tender development, planning and implementation and supervising & reporting on integrated development with bias in WASH projects.
- At least 3 years’ experience at a senior position providing technical leadership in WASH and construction activities in the water sector with multiple stakeholders and multi-layered teams.
- Proven experience in water supply, improved operational efficiency, Operation and Maintenance of water project, and implementation of water supply sustainable models for rural water management.
- Prior experience in engaging with donors, government institutions e.g. WASREB, WSTF etc and other WASH related civil societies
- Result orientated leader who can handle heavy work load as well as manage and satisfy multiple and at times conflicting organizational, donor and other stakeholder demands,
- Expertise in Water resource management, disaster Risk Management and water safety plans for WASH projects. This includes Water Quality Testing, Monitoring and reporting.
- Good experience in construction contract project design and management – FIDIC understanding.
- Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
- Knowledge and application of auto/arch CAD, Epanet and GIS
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office and Microsoft Outlook
Ability to take initiative as team leader & able to work with minimum supervision
- Job City Nairobi