Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia the WASH Engineer Officer is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The WASH Engineer will assist the WASH Coordinator in providing technical support in the development of NRC’s WASH programming and high quality technical planning and implementation of inputs for resulting schedule of work and monitoring agree indicators. He/she shall ensure efficient and effective construction of sanitation facilities in the respective implementation sites, inspect and monitor routine sanitation facilities (bathing shelter, Final disposal sites and latrines) and maintenance of the constructed systems to ensure minimal service as per the UNHCR and sphere standard. He/she will be responsible in all WASH construction at her/his respective site. The WASH Engineer will be lead in all technical designs, BOQ preparations related and tender documents to WASH constructions.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Capacity building of the WASH Assistants as agreed in the performance development plans
- Participate in staff management including appraisals of the WASH Assistants.
- Supervision of contractors engaged by NRC to ensure work is done as per drawings, technical specification and to the highest quality standard.
- Preparation of reports, technical guidelines, drawings and other strategic documentations.
- Ensure smooth running and uninterrupted water reticulation system in the implementation in the refugee camps.
- Together with the other WASH staff, appropriately design, coordinate, supervise, implement and closely monitor mainly the technical aspects of both the emergency and longer term WASH activities and interventions for the IDPs, returnees, refugees and host communities in Somali region in line with the proposals, strategies and donor requirements;
- To ensure that all planning processes and bills of quantities are in line with budget planning, budgetary constraints and in accordance to the contractual obligations to the donor and make sure that all BoQs and technical specifications are shared with the concerned partners.
- Appropriately design and ensure timely and smooth implementation of all technical aspects of the WASH project activities (borehole/Shallow drilling, water supply construction/rehabilitation and distribution networks, latrine construction, handwashing facilities, etc.) in a manner that promotes cost-efficiency (value for money) and innovation with the WASH programme, through participatory approaches that maximizes community involvement and ownership.
- Ensure that WASH facilities are planned, designed and implemented in a manner that addresses crucial issues related to Gender and Protection, as well as the needs of the Persons with Special Needs e.g the disabled and elderly persons
- Participate in the strategic planning and drafting proposals for all new WASH construction project activities within Dollo Area Office and as would be required.
- Where applicable, prepare tender and contract documents and take lead in the contract evaluation and awarding process;
- Coordinate all contract management activities for all major contracted works, to ensure adherence to contract specifications, terms and conditions, including timely issuing of completion certificates and payments;
- In close collaboration with finance office, ensure construction expenditures are within approved budgets by regular monitoring of both physical work progress and actual expenditures, as relates to the provisions in the BoQs;
- Work in close collaboration with all programme sector staff, especially the Community Development and WASH teams, to ensure provision of technical inputs and support in the implementation of community sub-projects; to ensure construction project eligibility, cost-effectiveness and community empowerment in all aspects of project management and implementation;
- Ensure quality control of all contracted and directly implemented construction works by travelling regularly to all construction sites to ensure adherence to contract specifications and / or workmanship specifications and adherence to set completion dates;
- Develop and or adopt relevant local and international standards and guidelines such as Sphere minimum standards for all WASH construction projects, apply them during implementation and ensure adherence by NRC and Partners’ staff and the Contractors;
- Support partner and staffs for implementation, give technical guidance and follow up on WASH component for the partner’s project implementation;
- To assess the quality of works, complete and incomplete and make recommendations for improvement or modification as part of an ongoing monitoring mechanism;
- Write field visit report to provide feedback on quality and engineering works underway to further advice programme management of any corrective measures to be taken and ensure donor reports are in compliance with all grant related reporting requirements;
- Ensure ongoing documentation of project progress and integrate sound M&E procedures in all technical aspects of projects.
- Represent NRC in WASH and relevant emergency related Cluster and other WASH activities/initiatives;
- Provide regular updates to supervisor and team on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing;
- Strict adherence to NRC rules, regulations and code of conduct is mandatory for all activities and at all times;
- Work closely with program support functions (logistics and finance departments) for WASH program supplies and activities planning working with field teams and logistics to procure project supplies within the project budget.
- Maintain open lines of communications with all technical field staff;
- Depending on the situation, he may be asked to perform other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working as a WASH Engineer/ Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts as WASH Engineer
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Proven practical experience undertaking water supply designs, civil works and implementation both rural and urban systems for at least 3 years. Refugee camp experience preferred.
- Some knowledge of English
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Qualification required: BSc degree in Hydraulics, Water Resource, Civil and other related field.
- Experience: Minimum 5 years’ experience on WASH and the design of water supply schemes and other WASH facilities.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, WaterCAD or any civil works design software is highly desirable
- Experience in drilling boreholes, shallow wells and hand dug wells and designing water supply system from the source up to the distribution points.
- Proven practical experience undertaking water quality analysis (bacteriological, chemical and physical) in a busy institution or organization.
- Experience of working with INGO in a similar capacity will be an added advantage
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present complex technical information
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc)
- Team work
- Cultural awareness and experience of working of different stakeholders
- Community mobilisation skills
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Excellent capacity building and facilitative supervision skills.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Job City Somali