FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender equality, youth, research, technology, communication, and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development and humanitarian challenge in more than 70 countries. FHI 360’s Crisis Response team is responding to the humanitarian emergency in Amhara, focusing on emergency health, nutrition and WASH activities to support the goal of reducing morbidity and mortality.
Under supervision of the WASH Coordinator, the WASH Officer is responsible for supporting all start-up WASH activities in FHI 360 implementation areas in Amhara Region. They will be responsible for providing technical guidance to ensure that program implementation adheres to appropriate international, and Ministry of Health technical standards and guidelines are technically sound.
· Support the WASH Coordinator in facilitating the process of establishing smooth and fulfilling work relationships with line government offices and their implementing arms.
· Ensure a timely startup of planned WASH undertakings in the upcoming project in Amhara.
· Conduct periodic needs assessment to keep up to date information that will inform FHI 360’s humanitarian efforts.
· Represent FHI 360 at various levels of WASH platforms including the WASH Cluster and its technical working groups.
· Support and guide field assistants in closely and daily following up WASH related interventions.
· Supervise and produce progress reports on implementation of planned basic rehabilitations and infrastructural improvements inside health facilities.
· Track spending against all planned WASH activities and ensure they are implemented within the budget frame and in compliance with FHI 360 and donor requirements.
- Assist the WASH Coordinator in the oversight of all WASH related construction undertakings.
· Draft internal and external reports in English at required intervals.
· Support in processing relevant written external communications as required.
· Work closely with other FHI 360 units including health and nutrition, logistics and finance, HR and administration to ensure effectiveness, efficiency and compliance.
· Deputize the WASH Coordinator during his absence.
CONTRACT LENGTH: 3 months with possibility of extension
REQUIRED AND DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
· 3-5 years of relevant experience in humanitarian response projects – preferably with INGOs.
· Hands on experience designing, implementing, and managing WASH programs with focus on public health engineering and public health promotion in humanitarian settings.
· Experience conducting rapid needs assessments; baseline assessments, etc. a plus.
· Sound understanding of the socio-economic and political situation in Ethiopia.
· Good command of English and local language.
· Experience representing employer at relevant platforms and liaising with key stakeholders.
· Willing to travel frequently and for extended period of time to FHI 360 operational locations.
- Good understanding of the UN Cluster System; international and national minimum standards of services in humanitarian settings.
- Fluent in local language and excellent in English.
How to Apply
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360’s Career Center for a list of all open positions. And interested candidates are encouraged to email their updated resume and cover letter with ‘WASH Officer-Bahir Dar/Dessie in the subject line as one document to [email protected]
FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
Women applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Kindly note that only shortlisted persons will be contacted
- Job City Bahir Dar/ Dessie, Amhara