Position: WASH Technical Manager
Location: Juba, South Sudan (over 50% travel to other locations)
Reports to: DCD Programs
Relief International (RI) is a leading global organization and home to teams of humanitarian professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
The WASH Technical Manager will manage the overall Country WASH program implementation funded by multiple donors in South Sudan. S/he will initiate and contribute to the development of RI’s WASH program, which is a constitutive part of the country strategy, and subsequently manage its implementation. The position is based in Juba – South Sudan with regular travel to RI-WASH program sites and other program sites where it needed. Candidate must be able to work in an austere environment and have the capacity and experience to effectively build and develop the project team.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
• Develop country WASH strategy in line with Country emergency strategy. The WASH strategy should clearly show how RI WASH program should operationalize, expand and tailor to prevailing situation with appropriate WASH designs, operational modality and approaches and ensuring mainstreaming all cross cutting issues specially gender.
• Regular meeting with Donors and establish good network for potential growth and expansion of WASH program in South Sudan.
• Support the WASH-Team leaders/ Officers to execute the daily field-level WASH program against all set objectives and targets within the agreed budgets and timeframes.
• Plan the various stages of WASH project implementation; Guide the implementation of the project and the methods of follow-up;
• Creation and finalization of reports, ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical
• information provided as well as the confidentiality of internal information as required;
• Manage project finances, logistics and materials.
• Set up a clear timeline of reports to be submitted to project Donors; Draft and finalize the narrative reports and contribute to the development of financial reports through regular budgetary follow up;
• Ensure that technical quality and standards are ensured and considered during project implementation:
• Collect technical information and analyses associated opportunities and risks;
• Identify relevant technical authorities and partners, and propose formal partnership and/or contracts.
• Analyze technical added-value and project impact; Set up technical evaluation exercises during and following implementation.
• Liaise with all internal and external counterparts of the project; Ensure external representation of Relief International in relevant sectors including participating in technical and sectoral meetings to ensure visibility amongst local authorities and donors.
• Participate in technical and sectoral meetings and working groups involving Donors, NGOs and UN Agencies (OCHA, UNICEF, FAO, etc.) and all other inter-governmental institutions and update to Country Director.
• Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources.
• Oversee Program and program support Staffs and Security; Guide and direct all office staffs in assigned Upper Nile State Field Offices.
• Organize and lead project coordination meetings; Prepare and follow work plans with each project member;
• Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics (solve out potential conflicts);
• Promote team working conditions in the limit of private life;
• Adapt the organograms and ToRs of project personnel according to the project development
• Undertake regular appraisals of directly supervised colleagues and pass appraisal forms to the Country office with recommendations (new position, changes to contract or salary etc.);
• In cooperation with the relevant Security Manager, monitor the local security situation and inform the Country Director or Security /Operations Manager of developments through regular written reports;
• Identify Best Practices and Lessons Learned; Collect information and tools employed for project implementation; Draft memos detailing lessons learned and best practices identified during the project; Share such memos with internal and external partners; Communicate such information to the Country Director.
• Conduct field assessments, identifying potential needs, designing and implementing response plans.
• Any other task as delegated by the Supervisor
Qualifications & Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
• University degree in Engineering or relevant WatSan specializations.
• At least 5-6 years’ work experience in a development, emergency or post-conflict setting, in WASH program designing and implementations.
• Excellent written and oral English skills required. ability to draft high quality proposals, concept notes and donor reports
• Strong project management skills.
• Familiarity with different US and other international donor regulations.
• Organized and detail oriented, with an ability to multi-task.
• Must be able to function effectively in a fluid, loosely structured, but complex work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements.
• Must be able to work independently, with minimum supervision, within the context of a larger team.
• Willingness to live and work in an insecure environment and to travel regularly to program locations as security allows.
• Strong coordination skills; flexibility, adaptability, and patience; facilitation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work under pressure to strict deadlines.
• Analytical and problem solving skills.
• Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity to cultural differences.
• Awareness of gender issues.
• Empathy with organizational goals.
• Ability to motivate and develop skills of others
• Demonstrated experience in coalition building/local partnership and relationship development.
• Team player, committed to motivating and leading staff.
• Knowledge of, and experience in South Sudan strongly desired
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational
independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
· Transparency and Accountability
· Agility and Innovation
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to submit a detailed CV and cover letter by December 5th, 2020. Due to the critical nature of this assignment, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this vacancy is posted.
- Job City Juba