ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL:
Plan International is an independent child rights and humanitarian organization committed to children living a life free of poverty, violence and injustice.
We actively unite children, communities and other people who share our mission to make positive lasting changes in children’s and young people’s lives. We support children to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights to a fulfilling life, today and in the future. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in 75 countries.
In the past three years Plan International Kenya (PIK) has grown its portfolio. Operating in more than twelve counties and with a robust Nairobi urban programme, there is a growing diversity of contracts and grants as well as projects funded by the child sponsorship programme. Increasingly Plan International Kenya is changing its modality to work with and through local civil society partners as well as with government and in public-private partnerships.
With a global strategy in place, Plan International Kenya’s projects need to reflect this new ambition of supporting the rights of girls and equality for children to ensure that they lead, learn, decide and thrive. Our thematic area of focus will be on child protection, girls’ empowerment, child and maternal health, education, youth employment and economic opportunities as well as disaster risk management.
Plan International Kenya is seeking a Youth Program Development Technical Consultant to join
PIK’s Business Development team to drive the development of PIK’s Skills, Opportunities and Youth Economic Empowerment (SOYEE) strategic pillar. The consultant will work with PIK’s Country Management Team (CMT) and Programs department to develop the Youth Economic Empowerment (YEE) Program. The consultant will also lead in partner engagement for youth employability, entrepreneurship and job creation, as well as lead in resource mobilization efforts for programme delivery for the SOYEE pillar.
The consultant will support and catalyze the team’s efforts in rolling out the Private Sector Engagement plan that seeks to target a rich network of partners and employers for Youth. S/he will support in developing Plan’s brand through research and thought leadership efforts, and seek to network Plan at civil society and private sector meetings and events. S/he will also contribute to the positioning, technical design and development of project proposals to potential donors including government aid agencies, Plan International National Organizations, Corporate Foundations and individual donors.
The consultant will be pivotal in supporting roll-out of the SOYEE pillar in the Plan Kenya Country Strategy 2022 – 2026, establishing preliminary actions to implement the proposed programmatic interventions that PIK has developed and mobilize resources to deliver positive impact around youth life skills development, entrepreneurship and employment creation.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
New Business – Program & Partnerships Development: (70%)
• Provide lead role in the development of multiyear fundraising opportunities around SOYEE including live opportunities in the pipeline –Youth Employment Platform, Dutch Challenge Fund and product development and other fundraising efforts for the SOYEE pillar
• Conduct mapping of SOYEE partners in the sector and propose areas of building synergies
• Map potential in-country and international potential partners for SOYEE – including donors, CSOs, operators, businesses, investors and policy makers – for PIK to partner with to resource, implement and advocate for the SOYEE program objectives
• Support in the development of new partnerships, including private sector, social finance and impact investing
• Carry out research to support the selection of and to build a business/investment case for the target geographic area, youth groups/demographics, job types/businesses/industries who would benefit most from Youth Employment Platforms (YEP) under bullet one (1) above
• Support business development and fundraising teams to respond to grants & funding opportunities for youth engagement, workforce, financial inclusion, and entrepreneurship solutions particularly for girls and women
Short Term Operationalization of YEE Pillar in the PIK Country Strategy 2022-2026 (30%)
• Conduct a feasibility review of PIK’s SOYEE proposed interventions in the new Country Strategy 2022-2026 and work with the Programs team to support the development of a pillar implementation and operational plan (including strategies for stakeholder engagement and delivery)
• Provide technical lead role in the development and generation of YEE program documents and concepts around youth employability and job placement, entrepreneurship, innovative market access and linkages, including innovative social finance products
• In collaboration with PIK’s Business Development and Programs identify and engage private sector partners that will complement the implementation of selected SOYEE projects, that require CSR, venture capital and impact investment.
• Conduct technical review and analysis, providing recommendations on how PIK can create an innovation programme to drive and deliver impact around youth entrepreneurship and employment, as envisaged in the YEE Pillar.
• Provide guidance and advice to the Impact Lab team to support in kicking off their Gender Lens Ventures pilot in Kenya, working closely with gender transformative social enterprises and women entrepreneurs
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Master’s degree in a relevant field such as education, international development, non-profit management with at least eight (8) years of relevant experience (or bachelor’s degree with 10 years of experience) in leading programs focused on research, youth services, workforce development, livelihoods, and/or private sector development;
• Understanding of and experience (at least 10 years) in the Youth Sector in Kenya especially Youth Social Economic Empowerment and Employability programming
• At least six (6) years of proposal writing experience, especially with a focus on youth programming or other relevant technical areas is preferred (experience in managing USAID solicitations is an added advantage)
• Familiarity with USAID regulations for proposal compliance is required;
• Ability to work effectively in teams and a demonstrated ability to multi-task and work well under time constraints is required.
• Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills is required;
• Strong understanding of the Kenyan context preferred;
• Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills;
• Strong representational and organizational skills;
• Fluency in written and spoken English.
How to apply
Please register your account on https://plan-international-kenya.org to access application submission information.
Closing date for submission of complete applications is 8th March, 2021 at 17:00 hours.
Interested and qualified firms / individuals are required to submit a technical and financial proposal. The financial proposal should be inclusive of all costs and taxes.
The Technical Proposal should include:
• Expression of interest demonstrating how the consultant meets selection criteria, understanding of TOR, Approach in undertaking the assignment and a detailed work plan in the specified duration.
• Most recent CV.
• A copy of at least one application(s)/sample writing undertaken of similar nature.
• Most recent Bio Data (Indicating consultants profile and rates/fee).
• Names and contact details of at least 2 references who can be contacted for relevant experience.
• A Consulting Firm profile (if applicable).
• KRA PIN
• Tax Compliance Certificate
• Certificate of incorporation (Applicable to firms)
- Job City Nairobi