Jamii Thabiti Programme
- Jamii Thabiti aims to increase security and safety for men, women and children in Kenya through increasing the capacity of key institutions (such as the police and county government) to prevent and respond to violence. We are recruiting Regional Technical Leads to overvsee technical delivery at the county level.
- One year employment contract, with the possibility of extension
- Wajir/Mombasa/Kisumu/Nakuru, Kenya
Jamii Thabiti is a £13.5 million, 3.5 year DFID funded problem driven programme that aims to increase security and safety for men, women and children in Kenya through increasing the capacity of key institutions (such as the police and county government) to prevent and respond to violence. In doing so, the programme will address three types of violence: criminal violence, inter-communal violence and violence against women and girls (VAWG) initially in eight counties: Kisumu, Bungoma, Wajir, Mandera Nakuru, Baringo, Kwale and Kilifi.
The programme brings together DFID’s work on conflict resolution, police reform and VAWG in Kenya. It is designed to respond to opportunity presented by devolved government under the 2010 constitution in Kenya and will work at the national, county and local level to address specific drivers of violence and insecurity. The Impact of the programme is “increased security and safety for men, women and children in Kenya through greater capacity to prevent and respond to violence.” The Outcome is “improved safety and security institutions at national level and in 8 counties that provide more effective, accountable and responsive services to a public that is actively engaged in improving safety and security.”
The Regional Technical Leads will have oversight over Jamii Thabiti interventions in their region, ensuring delivery against Output 2 (county level) and 3 (community level). They will work closely with the Nairobi based technical team to quality assure the technical quality of the work, contribute to the design of new interventions.
The Regional Technical Lead will:
- Be accountable for the delivery of Jamii Thabiti’s objectives in the region and have oversight of county level partners.
- Provide technical guidance, knowledge and skills to drive cutting edge interventions to address the three areas of violence, particularly in the areas of peace and security at the county level.
- Quality assure partners and collaborators’ interventions in particular those undertaken by county authorities and national government agencies.
- Ensure lessons learnt from the national level are applied to improve delivery at county and local level interventions and share relevant lessons from county and local level with the wider Jamii Thabiti team.
- Strengthen the learning agenda at the county level and enhance responsive testing of approaches for Problem Driven Iterative Adaptation (PDIA).
- Build strategic alliances amongst strategic partners and stakeholders to enhance the sustainability of interventions at county level.
- Leverage technical, political and social capital within counties and communities to galvanise coordination between the supply and demand sides.
- Coordinate reporting aspects of the programme at county level ensuring programme reports are received in time and to Jamii Thabiti’s requirements.
- Support the Technical Team and Regional Programme Officer in building the capacity of partners to enhance the quality of interventions and strengthen partner institutions.
- Adhere to all security advice from Coffey’s Risk Management Team.
- Adhere to Coffey International Policies and Procedures as outlined in the Operations Manual.
- Adhere to Coffey International’s behaviours: Ingenuity, Collaboration, Respect, Intelligent Risk, Integrity and Delivery.
- Submit all technical outputs for peer review prior to client submission in accordance with Coffey International Development’s quality assurance procedures.
- Report in advance possible resourcing decisions and/or any procurement to the Programme Manager to ensure all programme costs are properly supported within the Jamii Thabiti budget.
- Engage in the activities of the Programme Management Team and contribute to the progression of the programme, to ensure delivery of project outputs and outcomes in line with Jamii Thabiti’s log-frame. This will involve routine whole-of-project meetings (each week) to undertake detailed review of progress against the log-frame, adjusting workplans and resourcing on an on-going basis to remain on track.
- Undertake other activities reasonably requested by the Programme Manager, Programme Management Team or by the client (DFID) for the successful accomplishment of the programme’s immediate objectives.
- Some travel and out of hours work may be required.
- Any other duties as may be required for the exigency of the programme.
- Masters degree in Social Science or relevant subject
- Experience working of and understanding of at least two of Jamii Thabiti’s three core thematic areas (VAWG, policing and peacebuilding).
- Minimum five years practical experience of international development programme implementation on donor funded programmes.
- Experience engaging with Government of Kenya security agencies and county authorities
- Significant experience of working in Kenya required
- Background of practical experience implementing peace and security related programmes in Kenya with partners
- Practical knowledge of Justice and Security current thematic issues and debates in the Kenyan context, and of the major institutional donors such as DFID.
How to Apply
Please apply online submitting a CV demonstrating your relevant experience and indicating clearly on your CV your desired location. Please see attached TORs for further information about the role
Applications close: 15th January 2017 (we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis).
Coffey has a 40 year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK’s Department for International Development. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people’s lives.
- Job City Nairobi