Grade: 10 (N)
Level: Level 3 Manager
The position reports to the Deputy Director for Administration and directly oversees the General Services department, which includes Procurement, Property, and Logistics. In support of the Deputy Director for Administration, this position also oversees and supports the planning, training, quality control, monitoring and evaluation of the other Admin units, which include IT, HR, and Finance. This position works closely with the Programs Coordinators and is an active participant in RSC Africa’s Leadership Team.
This position supervises the Procurement, Property, and Logistics Supervisors. This position reports directly to the RSC Africa Deputy Director for Administration.
- Provides direct supervision, training, and feedback to Procurement, Property, and Logistics Supervisors
- Develops policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs) to ensure the accountability, transparency, and efficiency of RSC Africa, and to ensure compliance with the Cooperative Agreement, relevant United States Government (USG) and CWS policies
- Oversees the process of monthly Admin projections, including procurement, anticipated travel projections and related accountability forms, and ensures compliance with US government requirements
- Ensures Administration Division SOPs are routinely updated, stored, and disseminated electronically and via in-person training sessions
- Works closely with Senior Programs Team to plan work, resolve issues, conduct root cause analysis, and ensure systems improvements
- Supports General Services and other Administration departments with budget preparation
- Supports the Deputy Director for Administration by ensuring the Administration Division meets all division deliverables with high quality and on time or early
- Develops internal Compliance Reporting for all Administration divisions
- Works closely with Finance Manager and Deputy Director for Administration to perform regular internal audits and compliance checks
- Ensures Administration division’s compliance with Fileserver organization and group email protocols
- Ensures that SOPs for the Administrative departments are always up to date with Senior Management Team directives, and in line with RSC Africa security policy and that the administrative staff receive relevant security training.
- Plans and executes annual process reviews for all Administrative departments
- Ensures there is an organized and robust training strategy for the Administration Division, inclusive of targeted capacity building to increase professional skills of Administration positions
- Reports on Administration division’s multi-year planning progress and challenges
- Liaises with the Compliance Coordinator, Management and Training Coordinator and Sub/Satellite Office Management to ensure Sub/Satellite offices are compliant with the Cooperative Agreement and relevant USG and CWS policies
- Reviews contracts and coordinates timelines around contract negotiations, request-for-proposals, and other tenders to ensure a deliberate and timely delivery of services
- Supports with property management and/or landlord concerns in Kenya, South Africa, and Tanzania, or other areas of operation
- Participates actively in RSC Africa Leadership Team and at times attends SMT meetings
- Along with the DDA, prepares the annual RSC Africa budget and revisions, and monitors expenses in accordance with authorized budgets
- Ensures cost-effective use of RSC Africa human and financial resources, including a monthly review of expense reports and financial projections with RSC Africa unit supervisors
- Supervises the requisition, maintenance, and inventory of expendable and non-expendable equipment
- Provides Quality Control checks on Purchase Orders to ensure correct budget line allocation and that all information and supporting documents are adequate and correct
- Reviews all contractual agreements for goods and services, equipment and insurance, and maintains copies of all relevant contracts
- Ensures that all adequate insurance is arranged for all property and personnel and other liabilities in accordance with US and Kenyan laws
- Ensures that adequate inventory levels are maintained for all supplies
- In conjunction with the Property Supervisor, liaises regularly with the property management company to ensure services are delivered and accounted for properly
- Provides support as requested to the human resource functions of RSC Africa including staff recruitment, training and performance management, interpretation and implementation of RSC Africa personnel policies, and administration of payroll and employee benefits
- Provides support as requested to ensure that RSC Africa has a robust strategy for using information technology to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of its work across the organization.
- Serves on the RSC Africa Safety and Security Management Team
- Other duties that may be assigned to enhance the quality and efficiency of the administration of operational programs to attain program objectives and maintain the high professional standards of RSC Africa and CWS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field is required.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of management experience, with seven (7) years preferred, with an international NGO in a similar position required.
- Proven experience with financial management on US federal government funded projects and knowledge of US federal government financial regulations required.
- Knowledge of Kenya laws and customs preferred.
- Experience with overseas processing or US refugee resettlement preferred.
- Strong computer skills, in particular Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Access required
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong verbal and written English language skills
The Administration Coordinator must have the ability to:
- serve as a coach/mentor to staff;
- supervise staff to ensure policies and procedures are implemented and executed in accordance with guidelines and standard operating procedures;
- exercise good judgement and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems;
- travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and often under difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic program;
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- follow instructions with a positive and receptive attitude;
- deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public;
- conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS;
- maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
- work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- take initiative in the development and completion of projects within the specified timeframe;
- maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information;
- manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities;
- work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation.
- effectively manage RSC Africa’s resources; and
- actively contribute to the successful implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
Environmental: The incumbent in this position may be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
The US Embassy rates Kenya as both HIGH in crime and HIGH in terrorism. The incumbent should fully understand the insecurities present within Kenya and the region.
Certificate of Good Conduct issued within the last one year (12 months) is required before the start of employment. A background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is also required before the start of employment. A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel. The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa. Employee will be entrusted with the receipt, custody and payment of money.
Ensure effective exchanges of information with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include speaking to others respectfully; expressing ideas in a logical, organized way; sharing information appropriately; and clarity and conciseness in written communication.
Ensure constructive and supportive interactions with others. Examples of skills and behaviors include being positive and supportive when working with others; sharing information and resources freely; resolving conflict constructively; and proactively working to remove obstacles to success for others.
Utilize and apply job related knowledge to complete job tasks at a level that meets or exceeds expectations. Examples of skills and behaviors include utilizing job knowledge to solve problems or develop new approaches; maintaining or enhancing skills through continuing education; and taking on projects that will develop or enhance skills.
Work effectively and contribute as a member of a team. Examples of skills and behaviors include supporting other team members by sharing information; covering the work of others during absences, vacations etc.; and actively participating in developing ideas for ways to increase team effectiveness.
Analyze information and develop solutions to challenges that arise during the course of performing a job. Examples of skills and behaviors include researching and collecting facts; defining the issues and the parties affected; formulating options/solutions for addressing the problem; and engendering support for and implementing the solution.
Successfully lead a group to achieve operational goals. Examples of skills and behaviors include priority setting; timely decision making; planning and organizing; delegation; and managing and measuring work.
Building and Leading Effective Teams
Earn the respect of team members, create strong morale and spirit on the team and utilize the unique skills of all team members. Examples of skills and behaviors include managing diverse relationships; flexibility; being open and receptive; running effective team meetings; and exhibiting integrity and trustworthiness.
Accurately anticipate future consequences and trends and translate them into the fulfillment of workable strategies and plans. Examples of skills and behaviors include problem solving; dealing with ambiguity, creativity; innovation management and business acumen.
- Job City Nairobi