The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
As a result of the need to fill some consequential vacancies, the Nigerian Red Cross Society is desirous of employing capable hands for the efficient and effective discharge of her mandate.
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the vacant position below at the National Headquarters of the Nigerian Red Cross Society:
Assistant Coordinator Finance and Resource Management (Accountant)
Department: Finance and Resources Management
Job Family: Finance and Support Services
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reports To: Head of Finance and Resources Management
Direct Reports: N/A
- The Accountant shall be responsible for ensuring the timely and accurate processing and recording accounts payable activities as well as other assigned general accounting activities (including account receivables, inventory, etc.) and maintenance of various ledgers.
- The Accountant shall be responsible for the preparation, monitoring and control of NRCS budget, in addition to conducting the management reporting process.
- She / he will monitor and evaluate the financial information system, suggest improvements and oversee implementation.
- Coordinate field returns at the close of every month Payroll
- Process payroll payments within 24 hours of receipt from the HR department, and make transfers to staff bank accounts by the 25th of every monthEnsure that the professional taxes and other government statutory deductions like NSSF, Insurance etc. are processed before the deadline or in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the office is running smoothly and attend to all duties that are ordinarily performed, in the absence of the Finance Manager
- Complete urgent tasks and ensure prioritization of work in such a way to attend to duties without causing any disharmony
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Head of Finance.
- Work actively towards the achievement of the society’s goals.
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross humanitarian principles
- First Degree in Accounting or Commerce or Finance Management
- A professional certification in Accounting or a related field is highly desired e.g. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, ANAN, CPA etc.
- Minimum of 7 years proven work experience in Finance or similar role
- Ensure appropriate control and security of all cash resources always
- Conduct ageing analysis and compile reports of outstanding payments over 30 days and follow up to ensure payment
- Closely monitor all financial activities and keep the management advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance
- Assist in the facilitation of both internal and external audit procedures as may be required
- Develop, review and circulate annual budget guidelines / assumptions to all departments
- Compile all inputs into the budget from the organization units and departments and prepare detailed budget for management review and approval
- Develop and maintain a budget / commitment tracking system to monitor expenditures against budget
- Analyse budget performance, identify and obtain explanations for variances
- Make relevant contribution to the society’s cash forecasting and long-range financial planning.
Financial and Donor Reporting:
- Ensure production of financial reports to donors in line with agreed schedules
- Ensure that the Nigerian Red Cross Society staff are aware and adhere to the donor funding and financial reporting requirements
- Periodically generate reports that will assist programme managers monitor project expenditures and balances.
- Ensure accurate accounting and reporting of income generated by, or donated to NRCS
- Prepare cash and bank reconciliations.
Key Performance Areas:
- Timeliness and accuracy of payments processing
- Accuracy of ledger reconciliations
- Quality of financial reports
- Number of errors recorded in posting
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in the use of MS office tools and data analysis software
- Ability to follow and safeguard the Finance Procedures and policies
- Technical knowledge of strategic management, project planning and budgeting, resource management and implementation ability.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Strong judgment and ability to identify and analyse problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues.
- Ability to persuade, influence, negotiate, manage and sustain effective, successful strategic relationships both internally and externally.
- Knowledge of project management.
- Understanding of NRCS program functions.
- Articulate when communicating, and a curious and effective listener.
- Ability to protect the reputation of NRCS through the quality of work, knowledge and experience.
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption.
- Culturally sensitive, globally – minded and show respect to the views and opinions of others
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the “Job Title / Name of candidate” as the subject of the email.
- Job City Abuja