SNV is a mission-driven global development partner working in more than 20 countries across Africa and Asia. Building on 60 years of experience and grounded in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, we work on the core themes of gender equality and social inclusion, climate adaptation and mitigation, and strong institutions and effective governance. Together with our team of over 1,600 people, our mission is to strengthen capacities and catalyse partnerships that transform the agri-food, energy, and water systems, which enable sustainable and more equitable lives for all.
SNV is expanding its operations into Nigeria, to meet market and corporate needs; recognizing the development challenges and potential development impact that exist in the country. As one of its focal sectors, SNV seeks to understand the water sector in Nigeria, and identify niches and opportunities for SNV, in line with its ambition to have ‘water security for all’.
SNV is thus commissioning a study to investigate the water system in Nigeria, and articulate opportunities where SNV’s can add value with a particular focus on SNV’s focal areas: Equitable Water Resource Management, Inclusive Sustainable Irrigation, Climate Resilient Rural Water & Sanitation and hygiene (WASH), Sustainable Urban Water Cycle.
The objective of this study is to collect information that would Aid SNVs understanding of the water sector and identify value adding opportunities and partnerships for SNV. The key tasks to be performed are outlined as follows:
- Develop an understanding of SNV’s, strategy, strength, and experience as relevant for the water sector in Nigeria
- Present an overview of the water sector in the country, highlighting status of the sector, barriers and challenges, trends, and outlook.
- Assess the political economy of the water sector in the country including an understanding of Nigeria’s supply dynamics and access challenges.
- Present an overview of water resource management in Nigeria and how it links to different use sectors including priorities, challenges, constraints, ongoing initiative
- Develop a stakeholder mapping of the sector (including governmental actors, private sector companies, development partners, national and international NGOs, financiers & investors, and other market development actors), analyse donor funding trends and government priorities
- Present an overview of Irrigation and WASH subsectors in Nigeria including, priorities, challenges, constraints, ongoing initiatives, and mapping of key stakeholders, donors, financiers & investors
- Review cross cutting issues in the water sector – GESI, Climate adaptation and mitigation, Governance & Institutions
- Assess and recommend key opportunities for SNV in the water sector highlighting niche, value add propositions, proposed interventions, including an assessment of strength, weakness, opportunities, and threats (SWOT).
- Assess potential competition and beneficial partnerships for SNV in Nigeria.
- Organize and conduct Key Informant Interviews (KIIs) if appropriate to further enrich findings from the study.
- Develop an annotated list and summary of key policy and regulatory frameworks relevant for the water sector including relevant policies from other SNV focal sectors – Agriculture and Energy.
- In addition to the assessment report covering the above points, produce a summary PowerPoint presentation which portrays key findings.
- Present findings and identify 2-3 priority interventions, considering specific sub-sectors and/or approaches, potential partners and funders.
The methodology for this will be a combination of literature review and key informant interviews.
4.0 Deliverables and Timeline:
The consultant will produce the following deliverables:
Deliverables Timeline : April – June 2023
1 – Inception report
2 – Country report containing assessment outcome and recommendations : 20 days
3 – Develop an annotated list and summary of key policy and regulatory frameworks relevant for the water sector : 3 days
4 – PowerPoint summary deck (max 20 slides) : 25 days
Total : 25 days
5.0 Duration of the assignment:
The Assignment is expected to be undertaken from April – June 2023. Final timings will be agreed upon appointment of the consultant and review of the inception report.
6.0 Academic & professional qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
Qualifications required include:
- 5+ years’ experience working in water sector in Nigeria.
- More than 5+ experience developing and designing water system and WASH programme interventions.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the Nigerian water sector including stakeholder activities, policy and regulatory framework, and private sector initiatives.
- Experience performing assignments of a similar or closely related nature
- Evidenced excellent writing, analytical, and communication skills to be supported by work samples.
Position Name: Water Systems Specialist Consultant
Position Location: Nigeria
Reports to: Deputy Country Director
Responsible for: Carrying out country water analysis.
Please submit your application (CV, work samples and day rates) via Smart Recruiters before 31st March 2023 inclusive if you wish to be considered for this position. All information provided will be kept in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as we have reviewed your application.
- Job City Abuja