Title: Child Protection Officer (Dadaab) – Kenya Country Office
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Role Purpose: The BID/CP Officer has the responsibility to initiate, oversee and support the implementation of BIA/BID process, child protection strategies and activities at the camp level. The BID/CP Officer will be responsible for supervising and managing the work of and providing guidance to the Community based workers.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Contract Duration: 8 months
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Qualifications and Experience
* Graduate degree in social work / social sciences or equivalent with preferably 5 years work experience in social work or with development-related organizations.
* Demonstrated ability to handle to a large BID/Case management case load
* Good communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
* Good IT skills including the use of Word and database software
* Demonstrable ability to adapt to changing programme priorities and emergency priorities that may arise
* Strong self-starter, able to take initiative and adapt to changing circumstances and priorities
* Positive attitude towards community work with emphasis on the ability to learn from communities and support innovative approaches to problem solving
* Some experience of representation and ability to represent SC effectively in external forums.
* Knowledge of institutional donors and experience of developing proposals
* Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
* A high level of written and spoken English
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with experience working in multicultural, multi -location, values driven teams.
* Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children International’s aims, values and principles.
* Experience and skills in management of staff
* Strong understanding and experience of Case management process
* Experience in designing and facilitating training sessions
* Experience in working in an insecure environment
* Experience in documenting and presenting BID cases in an interagency panel
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
- Job City Dadaab