Innovation: Africa is Seeking Honest, Hard-Working, Dedicated Problem-Solvers in Uganda.
Position: Field Civil Engineer
Uganda Nationals Only: Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water for villages and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. With more than 300 completed water, solar electrification, and agriculture projects, iA has provided over 1.7 million people in Africa with access to light, clean water, food security, and proper medical care. Visit www.innoafrica.org to learn more about our work.
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified individual to join our Uganda team as a Field Civil Engineer and will be based in our Mbale office. This position works under the supervision of the local Project Manager and is responsible for overseeing iA’s solar water pumping systems, technical implementation, liaison with local solar water contractors and providing technical support in all sites post completion ensuring that all projects meet iA standard and structural integrity.
The Field Civil Engineer will also be responsible for all iA field activities, including identifying and selecting the beneficiaries of our projects, actively engaging in community mobilization and sensitization, establishing and maintaining regular communication with the communities we serve, implementing project-related activities, providing regular reports and ongoing monitoring of the projects. As this is predominantly in-the-field work, candidates should expect frequent travel to the field to identify new projects, oversee the construction and implementation of ongoing projects, and monitor completed projects.
Local Project Manager & Country Director in Israel.
- Oversee all field operations related to solar powered water projects, including prospective project search, project construction/implementation, and monitoring and evaluation
- Work closely with the local contractors to plan and design all solar water pumping systems, blueprints and implement all civil construction works
- Where relevant, work closely with the local contractor to plan, design and implement drip irrigation systems
- Oversee technical implementation of all water systems and serve as technical point person for all system designs, water tower construction works, water distribution point construction, structural design analysis and checking materials used during construction
- Manage on-site work during all stages of the system construction and installation
- Independently assess needs for maintenance work (post-installation) in projects where a malfunction exists
- Maintain regular contact with Innovation: Africa’s engineers in Israel to successfully implement and monitor new solar technologies and remote monitoring systems
- Continually monitor the progress of ongoing field installation and maintenance activities
- Conduct community technical trainings and sensitization to all iA water and drip system beneficiaries on water management for water and agricultural use
- Appropriately sensitize the communities we work with, including establishing project steering committees to maintain the project
- Support the Project Manager to manage relationships with municipal officers, local leaders, and international stakeholders
- Send daily updates and regular progress reports to international management team regarding prospective projects, construction and implementation of current projects, and monitor existing projects
- Research and implementation of best construction practices and equipment in all iA projects.
The ideal candidate is a dedicated team-player with strong interpersonal skills and a background in solar powered water systems. Applicants must have competitive experience in community development and mobilization, as well as experience working with international stakeholders. The candidate must demonstrate a proven passion for working with the community and possess strong detail orientation and problem-solving skills.
Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or professional diploma in Civil Engineering, with an emphasis on water supply systems
- At least 3 years’ experience working with a structural engineering company with vast experience in construction works
- Experience supervising civil works in NGO community development projects
- Ability to design systems using various design applications; e.g AutoCAD, Epanet, etc
- Technologically oriented with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software
- Driver’s license with offroading experience
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours
- Knowing Bantu languages is an added advantage.
- Fluent proficiency in English; both writing and speaking
- Ability to relocate to Mbale.
As an international organization that works across three continents, our teams are required to maintain daily communication, at flexible hours, with one another using technology solutions, including WhatsApp, Skype, and Zoom.
Our ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with a diverse international team located in various time zones.
- Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to [email protected].
- The file name should be saved as your full name.
Please include the position and country for which you are applying to work in the subject line of the email.
- Job City Mbale, Uganda