The Global Campaign for Education (GCE) founded in 1999, is a global civil society movement working to end the education crisis. GCE members bring together civil society organisations, NGOs, teacher unions, child rights activists, parents’ associations, young people and community organisations who work together in coalition in nearly 100 countries. GCE promotes education as a basic human right, mobilises the public to put pressure on governments and the international community to fulfil their promises to provide free, compulsory, high quality public education for all.
The Global Campaign for Education (GCE) is seeking to recruit for the following position: Communications Officer
Job purpose: To input into the development of communication strategies for GCE publicly, for the GCE membership and with GCE partners and to work with the Head of Communications to deliver internal and external communications to further the achievement of the strategic and political objectives of the Global Campaign for Education and its members.
|Location:||Johannesburg, SA or London, UK or any other region where the GCE coalitions are in operation|
|Salary Range:||R325,000 to R375,000 CTC|
|Reporting to:||Head of Campaigns and Communications|
|Employment Type:||12-month fixed-term contract|
Duties and responsibilities:
- Production of all GCE internal publications including newsletters
- Support the dissemination of the work of GCE to its members, in particular the learning and outcomes from Civil Society Education Fund (CSEF)-supported members.
- Write and create all members emails.
- Maintain and update GCE’s membership and partner data to ensure effective communications with all stakeholders.
- Support the logistical processes for GCE member events, including the GCE World Assembly.
Publications & Content production
- Support the production of GCE official publications, including design and proof-reading where required
- Oversee the translation of all communications materials in each of GCE’s five official languages.
- Ensure that communication material produced adheres to editorial policies and are in line with the identity guidelines across all platforms.
- Support the production of GCE’s film/video communications.
- Support the delivery of GCE’s digital communications, including updating the content of the GCE websites, social media and compiling GCE newsletters.
- Ensure incoming emails and messages are answered to in a timely manner.
- Maintain and update key journalists contact database.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, bloggers, and other stakeholders that will help advance our work.
- Propose and write press release, media statement, factsheets and Q&A.
- Report on media monitoring and coverage analysis
- Contribute to the development of reports and feedbacks to donors/funders.
Qualifications and Key Competencies:
- A commitment to GCE’s core values, principles and mission to promote the right to education.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, journalism/public information, communication or other related field
- 3 to 4 years of experience in communications and media relations.
- Proven experience in managing social media platforms.
- Proven experience working with the media.
- Proven ability to manage relationships with media representatives and GCE members and
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- An understanding of grassroots civil society activism, especially networks and the ability to
motivate and engage staff and individuals from diverse coalition member organizations.
- Cultural sensitivity, ability to work with colleagues in different locations and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and strong writing and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills over email, by phone and in person.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and to prioritize a complex workload.
- At least two years experience at the international level or an international organisation.
- Competency in one or more of GCE’s other official languages – Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese preferred.
- Working knowledge of design software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Working knowledge of video editing software.
- Existing network of contacts in the field of global and/or regional education policy.
- Experience of working in global networks or coalitions.
- Experience of working with GCE member coalitions.
Only applicants who have the right to work in South Africa and the UK need to apply, however we will be open to a flexible location arrangement where we have National Coalitions as GCE is not able to process work permits for applicants.
For further information on GCE, please visit our website: www.campaignforeducation.org/en. To apply for this position, please submit your application letter and CV (2 pages maximum), including at least two references, to [email protected] on or before the closing date: Sunday, 25th May 2018. Please indicate the job title
- GCE is an equal opportunity organisation and everyone is encouraged to apply.
- Please note that due to high volumes of applications that we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- GCE reserves the right to shortlist and interview on a rolling basis and in that case the job advert may be withdrawn at any time from job sites without notification.
- Job City Johannesburg