Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission, is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
Community Engagement Officer (6 months)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full-time
Travel: Up to 40% required (domestic)
Reporting to: Team Lead, Northeast Nigeria
Staff Reporting: N/A
About The Position
- CIVIC is seeking suitably qualified applicants for the position of Community Engagement Officer, Nigeria, who will be part of the CIVIC Nigeria program team. This is a full-time position.
- The Community Engagement officer will provide subject matter technical knowledge on issues faced by communities affected by the conflict in northeast Nigeria. The post holder will have representation responsibilities, working with communities/civilians, government and security force representatives, police, and other security actors, as well as CSOs/NGOs/INGOs located in the northeast.
- The Community Engagement Officer will develop, facilitate and support CIVIC’s community engagement efforts on civilian protection and outreach capabilities through community self-protection workshops and civil-military dialogues as well as military and vigilante group workshops.
- Provide subject matter technical knowledge and develop, facilitate, and support CIVIC’s community engagement processes.
- The Community Engagement Officer will lead CIVIC’s efforts to mobilize communities across Northeastern Nigeria to strengthen community self-protection mechanisms, to create platforms for improved civilian-military relations, to conduct field research on civilian security issues, and to lead a Protection Network and related advocacy campaigns aimed at increasing the understanding and commitment to civilian protection and harm mitigation by all groups, including local government officials, security forces, self-defense groups
- Work with Team Lead Northeast, Community Engagement officer and other pertinent staff to design, manage, and implement community programs in support of CIVIC’s Nigeria program;
- Travel regularly (with CIVIC staff and alone) across northeastern Nigeria to mobilize support for CIVIC’s work, especially in communities;
- Support the team’s efforts to convene civilian protection committees;
- Support, in close coordination with the team, civilian efforts to develop self-protection strategies;
- Build strong relations with local officials, community-based and civil society organizations and like-minded INGOs;
- Support research and drafting of publications (reports, briefing papers, etc) and advocacy materials promoting CIVIC’s Nigeria work;
- Strategize and implement ways for programming to reflect the different protection needs of women, men, girls, boys, including those with disabilities, and increase their voice and influence around protection issues
- As advised by line Manager, represent CIVIC with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships, especially in Borno; and
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals.
- B.A. in International Affairs, Political Science, Social Sciences, or related area; Masters level preferred;
- Minimum 5-7 years relevant full-time staff level work experience required, including work in active and/or recently active conflict zones and experience in community engagement, training, field research, advocacy, and project management;
- Experience in northeastern Nigeria and the Lake Chad Region;
- Demonstrated strong work ethic;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- English language fluency mandatory. Advanced proficiency in Hausa and Kanuri languages is required.
Skills and Experience:
- Well organized, collaborative, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize, manage, and plan their work even in unstable environments;
- Deep knowledge of Nigeria including related to humanitarian and security issues;
- In depth understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Ability to network extensively and build partnerships with community leaders and civil society organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- Effective in participatory facilitation, community organizing, advocacy, and leadership development;
- Knowledge and experience in working in gender transformation and disability inclusive ways;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a complex atmosphere;
- Willingness and experience working with security forces and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces;
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills; and
- Skilled communicator, presenter, training facilitator, and bridge builder with communities in conflict, civilians, and security audiences.
Commensurate with experience.
- Job City Borno State