INTERSOS is an independent, no-profit organization which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world’s poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure. The head office in Italy coordinates, supports and monitors the planned activities in the countries of intervention carried out by decentralised offices. The statutory bodies of INTERSOS, are: the Members Assembly, the Council, the Society for Auditing and Certification of Accounts.
Intersos, established in 1992, is recognised by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the European Commission and the principal UN agencies; it is privileged to hold an advisory status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
Community Health Officer (CHO)
Location: Ngala, Diwka, Bama and Magumeri LGAs – Borno State – with travel to other activity sites
Reporting to: Clinical Supervisor
Purpose of the Position
To provide consultations, treatment and follow-up of patients according to the INTERSOS protocols, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the beneficiaries.
To undertake health programme activities guaranteeing the efficient and effective sensitisation, mobilisation and participation of the targeted communities, thereby maximising programme performance. The CHO shall ensure that supportive supervision is given to the community mobilizers and nurses while ensuring guidelines set in the health protocols are followed during programme implementation. In the process he/she will ensure that every beneficiary receives adequate medical examination, the required routine and prescribed medication and referral for additional treatment, as appropriate and according to the protocols.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments, performing consultations and other minor medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patients (and family) when
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), and reporting any
- problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed ; and Conduct data quality assessment in a weekly bases
- Participate in planning and undertaking health surveys, rapid assessments, as well as in the monitoring and evaluation of the health program activities.
- Responsible for providing inputs and data for monthly health activities’ reports in timely manner.
- Participate and update progress in weekly technical meeting with health staff
- Responsible for accurate record keeping, ordering and accountability of health equipment, supplies and drugs (Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment
- control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material , etc.)
- Ensure the quality of the health service given in all different locations meet the expected standards.
- Responsibility for the day to day management of project site activities and staff.
- Conduct trainings to build the capacity of staff/volunteers, MoH staff and the community at large
- Performing other related duties within the clinic as may be assigned.
- Higher National Diploma or bachelors degree in community health from a reputable institution. Applicants should have at least 2 years post qualifying experience and be registered with the National Council for Community Health Practice Board of Nigeria for Technician cadre.
- Experience having managed a team will be an added advantage
- Two years of relevant professional work experience, including in a developing area, in public health and nutrition
- Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Residence in the above locations will be an added advantage
- Good command of written and spoken English, Kanuri and Hausa Languages
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills and excellence as a team player.
- Must possess the ability to learn with speed and ease.
- Strong sense of responsibility, methodical and accurate with high organizational skills
- Honesty and integrity and able to cope with stressful situations.
- Manages effectively his/her own time as well as flexible and available to work over time when needed
- Willing to be deployed to the newly liberated local government areas
- Job City Borno State