Location: Dakar, Senegal
Contract type: FTC 2 years
Hours: 35 per week
Salary: Starting at GBP 40,979 + monthly subsistence allowance, accommodation
Accompanied: Yes, family accompaniment.
The BRC is recruiting for an exciting senior management role based in Dakar. If you are an experienced humanitarian with strong diplomacy skills and extensive experience in program implementation through partnerships and want to lead and manage an incredibly talented team to deliver a new strategic direction in the Sahel sub-region – then this role is for you!
* To lead on the delivery of the BRC strategy in the Sahel sub-region of West and Central Africa and to provide strategic leadership for BRC’s sub-regional advocacy and programming.
* Manage and coordinate the delivery of all BRC’s support to partner National Societies, the IFRC and the ICRC in the Sahel region.
* Lead on the development of BRC’s partnerships and relationships in the region with respect to BRC’s and IFRC specific codes and frameworks
* Lead the development of new funding opportunities to support the delivery of the strategy in the sub-region, working closely with donors such as DFID.
* Manage a small team who have oversight of the programmes in three core technical areas, namely Cash Preparedness, Food Security & Livelihoods, and Migration.
* Ensure that these programmatic strands are delivered in a joined-up way and that BRC has a united voice within the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, including interaction with the IFRC Sahel Cluster.
* Ensure the sound management of the BRC office based in Dakar including HR, finance, security and asset management.
The Sahel Manager will be embedded in British Red Cross’ West and Central Africa and Overseas Branches team. As the role is based in Dakar, Senegal, the post holder will be working directly with BRC’s Dakar team and be line managed by the Head of Region, based in London. The Dakar team is comprised of a CASH preparedness programme manager, a Migration programme team, an FSL programme manager, a country officer and a logistician/driver. You would be overseeing work in the Sahel G5 countries and Guinea. BRC also has country offices in Abuja, Nigeria, and Freetown, Sierra Leone, who you will link with when necessary. Programmes as well as emergency responses, are supported by the team in London, which includes the Head of Region, two Regional Officers, the Disaster Management Coordinator and a Team Assistant, as well as our finance, fundraising, HR,technical advisory and PMEAL business partners.
The programmes in the region focus on three strategic areas: Protracted Conflict, Chronic Hunger and Migration and Displacement, all while engaging with core themes of Disaster Management,Protection, Gender and Inclusion and Community Engagement and Accountability. The Sahel Manager will play an important role in delivering the BRC’S ambitions and targets in regard to these strategic areas in the Sahel region.We’re looking for a motivated individual with proven management experience at a strategic level in a complex organisation with evidence of leading partnership developments and implementation of programmes.
* Fluency in French & English
* Substantial managerial, programmatic as well as HR, experience
* Substantial experience of developing/working in partnerships including institutional funders
* Knowledge of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement
* We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
* Closing date for applications is 05/01/2020 at 23:59 (UK time).
* Applications must be submitted in English.
Interviews will take place w/c 13th January 2020.
click here to view the full job description/person specification
If you have any questions on this role please email us at quoting REQ27ZY
Click here to learn more about British Red Cross’ work internationally
BRC support millions of people affected by crisis in the UK. We want our team to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve, offering equal opportunities to everyone, regardless of;age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. Diversity is something we celebrate and we want you to be able to bring your authentic self to the Red Cross. We want you to feel that you are in an inclusive environment, and a great position to help us spread the power of kindness. In the BRC we will not tolerate any form of misconduct, including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse. We have a code of conduct in place, and are committed to creating a culture of integrity in the organisation where misconduct is not tolerated, situations of abuse are quickly investigated and perpetrators are dealt with effectively.
If appointed to a role with BRC you will be subject to the organisat ion’s Code of Conduct, a copy of which you can find on our website. As part of its recruitment and selection process, he British Red Cross undertakes DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) or equivalent overseas criminal records checking of all individuals who work overseas with us. The BRC, incorporated by Royal Charter 1908, is a charity registered in England and Wales (220949) and Scotland (SC037738).
Connecting human kindness with human crisis
- Job City Dakar